Dr. Paige
Dr. Paige, Psychologist
Experience:  Psychologist; Parent

My 15yr. old daughter is "going goth" she likes to wear black

My 15yr. old daughter is "going goth" she likes to wear black and is fascinated with Vampires and scary movies. I am trying to let her express herself, but I am concerned. Is this just a phase?
You have nothing to worry about. If she is a level headed individual and you have open communication with her, just let her express herself. How she dresses and the movies she likes should not be of concern. If she starts to blur the line and ends up having other issues such as drugs and whatnot, chances are she would have been into it anyway. Try to look at the important things such as her grades and her attitude in general. If she is still the same teenager, then it is just a way she is trying to be an individual.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks, XXXXX XXXXX very mature and intelligent, I think it's me, I'm worried what other people will think, we are Baptist and very conservative.
I understand how you can think that. As long as you stand up for your daughter, people will tend to keep their opinions more to themselves and mind their own business. As long as she is a good kid, she will always keep with her your support for the rest of her life. Think about things from her point of view and also in the future. She will always remember that her parent(s) were supportive of her and didn't care what other people thought of any phase she goes through.