jfaherty77
jfaherty77, Teacher
Experience:  I am a certified Elementary Teacher and Special Educator. I have a degree in Psychology and am the father of two year old twins.

My son is two years and 9 months. He does not react when I

My son is two years and 9 months. He does not react when I put him on time out or spank him. He tries to do what I tell him not to do even while he is in time out. Are there other discipline methods that he might react to? He keeps throwing things at me and tries to hit me because he knows he should not do it.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  replied 2 years ago.

jfaherty77 : Hi how are you today?
Customer:

hello, good. you?

Customer:

hello?

jfaherty77 : I would say that at that age, children really do not know right from wrong, and generally do this because it elicits a reaction and gets your attention. I have gone through this, and continue to do so, and what I would do if it is a serious issue is to ignore it until it becomes boring. You want to extinguish the negative behavior and not necessarily reinforce it by providing them attention/reacting, or punishing. At that age they really have limited cognition of right and wrong, but by showing them what is acceptable and ignoring/extinguishing the unacceptable, you should see better results. I certainly have. But do expect the behavior to worsen before it improves. Just stick to your guns and don't give in!
Customer:

Interesting, so ingnoring might work better than punishing?

jfaherty77 : Certainly, especially with any behavior that is attention seeking, which this sounds like.
jfaherty77 : This I also a technique we use in teaching and working with behavior problems.
Customer:

ok, thank you

jfaherty77 : I hope I was able to assist you, and if you have questions please feel free to ask!
jfaherty77, Teacher
Experience: I am a certified Elementary Teacher and Special Educator. I have a degree in Psychology and am the father of two year old twins.
Expert:  replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much, and if there is ever anything I can help you with in the future, or you have more questions about this topic, feel free to ask anytime!

jfaherty77, Teacher