DrFee, Psychologist
Experience:  I am a Psychologist and Mother of 2.

We have a swimming pool in the backyard, but I dont think

We have a swimming pool in the backyard, but I don’t think my two boys (5 and 6 years old) know how to swim. They do jump from the jumping board into the deep end, and they really enjoy being in the water.

Is there a place where I can take them where someone will be able to certify that they know how to swim or not. My husband is supposed to watch them and stay in the pool area, but he doesn’t, claiming that they can swim. Is there anything else I can do?

Thank you very much.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  DrFee replied 4 years ago.

DrFee :

Hello! Please remember that my responses are informational only, we are not establishing a therapeutic relationship.

DrFee :

Even if your boys know how to swim, at that age they still need to be watched while in the pool.

DrFee :

You could sign them up for lessons at your local YMCA or swim club where their skills would be assessed.

DrFee :

And --they could increase their skills via the lessons.

DrFee :

Even if they know how to swim, left unattended, they could do things that are unsafe while playing --

DrFee :

I have a friend with 13 year old twins who are very responsible, very strong swimmers --but the rule is "no swimming" when there are no adults at home. They will let them in the pool if they are nearby, in the house. You just can't trust the potential for impulsive behavior even in responsible older kids or the potential for an unforseen accident.

Okay, I guess I call the YMCA then. Thank you very much. I agree with you fully, the problem is that I work and my husband takes care of them, but he is irresponsible with things like that. What is a swim club?