Coach Jen K.
Coach Jen K., LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Master Social Worker. Certified Coach Mom of Twins.
64783947

is there anything I can do if my 2 year old child wont go to

Customer Question

is there anything I can do if my 2 year old child wont go to bed and keeps climbing out of his crib
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Coach Jen K. replied 2 years ago.

CoachJenK :

Hi. Welcome. I am a Licensed Master Social Worker with more than 20 years experience working with individuals and families. I am also a mom of Twins.

CoachJenK :

tell me about your child and the routine at night

CoachJenK :

Without knowing some of the background I will offer some things and then wait to hear back from you so we can chat.

CoachJenK :

it is not uncommon at this age for him to begin climbing out of his crib. He may be ready for a bed...or a step down from the crib.

CoachJenK :

When he climbs out what does he do?

CoachJenK :

I would also have a consistent time for bed and it could be that his is going to bed too late where he has caught a second wind and is unable to wind down.

CoachJenK :

Does he nap? what time does he go down for a nap and what time does he wake up from the nap? all of these questions are important to answer so we can try and figure out what the causes might be that he isn't going to sleep and maybe make some adjustments...sometimes small adjustments go a long way.

CoachJenK :

The routine is so crucial and something to follow the same way every night so it becomes predictable for him so he knows what the cues and signals are to winding down. Such as dinner, warm milk, a bath a story and then down for sleep.

Customer:

she usually comes down to see us and we are watching TV, and just wants to sit on the couch with us and try to play. We usually try a few times to take her upstairs and put her back down, but again five minutes later she comes walking downstairs, which gets tiring. In the end, she sits there and sometimes falls asleep on the couch, or maybe by the fifith time of trying to put her to bed (now around 9:30pm), she will finally stay in her crib. My wife is thiking of getting a tent for the crib, which we never had to get for the first thee kids. She still naps, usually from 1-3pm. With four kids its hard to have a normal routine, but I would say it is pretty normal, dinner, bath, TV, story, bed

CoachJenK :

What time are you first trying to put her down?

Customer:

8pm

CoachJenK :

yes it is tiring but if you stick with it with no wiggle room. I would keep walking her back to her crib without talking and do this a hundred times if you have to.

CoachJenK :

I might suggest trying to put her down a bit earlier.

Customer:

she just does not seem tired, even at 8pm, also hard with four kids, but I hear you

CoachJenK :

yes and she probably thinks she is missing something by going to bed.

CoachJenK :

she sees the family sitting and watching tv and wants to be a part of things

CoachJenK :

what is she eating from 3pm on?

Customer:

snacking a little, and then dinner (changes every night) and then usually ice cream after (since the other kids want it), none of my kids are the best eaters

CoachJenK :

that is the culprit...thank you for sharing that....that sugar after dinner is keeping her wound up.

CoachJenK :

so hard with the other kids I know but she is younger and cannot have ice cream and go to sleep

CoachJenK :

that is the reason why she is not tired

Coach Jen K., LCSW, CPC
Experience: Licensed Master Social Worker. Certified Coach Mom of Twins.
Expert:  earthsister replied 2 years ago.
Good evening. Here is a thought, the process of laying your little one down to bed successfully is a little deeper than simply what your bed time schedule is , I would also pay attention to what your day time schedule is. What time she wakes in the morning (the earlier to bed, the earlier to rise), the amount of physical and mental activities (because mentally engaging activities can be just as tiring) is she getting in the day. She may need more activity during the day to help tire her out at night. I have twin 15 month old girls, and I have experienced the same thing with them (which I am sure it will return again at some point, for one reason or another), however, when I began filling up their daytime activities, it became easier for the two of them to fall asleep at night; going outside everyday, a good amount of floor time, some piano playing and dancing, reading books and doing puzzles throughout the day (and sometimes they take more than one nap, but often shorter than 2 hours each - you might want to try this). Teething can commonly be a reason that toddlers have problems going to bed, useful for this may be teething gels, cold foods, or a cold compress, such as a clean cold cloth or teether that she can teeth on (if this is possibly an issue, just a suggestion). Young children around this age very commonly have nightmares at night as well. If this is a possibility, I would suggest really monitoring the shows that she watches, either herself or with the family on television. I wanted to share some of my insight because I can truly relate (double time). I hope that you find the answers that you need. If I can personally help you in any other way, please message for "earthsister." I wish you the best.