proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
49595756

I have a 3 year old grandson who lately has been touching

I have a 3 year old grandson who lately has been 'touching' himself inappropriately. Yesterday we were in the grocery store and he was sitting in the 'car' cart very quietly, I looked and there he was with his erect penis out. I try not to scold him, just trying to distract him. Is this normal and what can/should we do???
Hello and Thank You for consulting Just Answer. I am a parenting Mentor and I am her to assist you with your concerns. I know that your initial reactions are ones of shock, disbelief, and utter amazement. However, I applaud you in not scolding him which would be the first and most natural reaction of most parents.

All children...especially boys like my three... will touch themselves as this is quite normal for a toddler's developmental process. He is discovering his body and exploring his parts and learning about what body parts can do. If you are able to reason with him, let him know that it is okay to touch himself, and explain to him that it is his private part and he can touch it at home when he uses the bathroom or is in the bathtub. But it is important not to make him feel guilty about a completely normal curiosity. Do not try to make him feel ashamed because you think it is disgusting because we were taught it was shameful behavior and should be better left behind closed doors.

You may also want to talk about bad touching by others as opposed to good touching if you feel that he can handle the conversation. Just do not make too big of an issue about it.

Think about this....even grown men still touch themselves not even realizing it like when watching tv!

So take a deep breath and you and your son will be just fine!

Have a great Saturday!