Dr. Paige
Dr. Paige, Psychologist
Experience:  Psychologist; Parent

My son of 3.5 yrs old still wakes up at night to drink milk

hi. my son is 3.5 years old and still wakes up at night to drink milk. we are still giving him milk in the bottle although he's much capable of drinking in a cup or mug. He's used to it. We didn't know how to stop this habit. what should we do to help him stop it?
Hello. You should give him the sippy cup and stop the bottles. I'm guessing by what you said that you are just giving the bottle at the night feeding. If this is the case, then start with the sippy cup and milk. Then switch to the sippy cup with water. You can also gradually reduce the amount you are giving him as well. You don't have to stop cold turkey, but you can make the switch less stressful for all involved. If he cries, you are going to have to draw the line with his needs and wants. It may seem painful for you right now, but it will work out in the long run. Kids as young as he is think that everything is the end of the world, but you are going to have to put a little bit of discipline into this situation or else it will get worse as he gets older.