professional_Alison
professional_Alison, Child Care
Experience:  Degree in early years,16 years experience in childcare
65051498

If I tell him he can buy a bathing suit but he has to use his

If I tell him he can buy a bathing suit but he has to use his own money, would that have a negative impact on him?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  professional_Alison replied 4 years ago.

professional_Alison : Hello there, may I help you? Can you tell me more about your question and I will be happy to assist you?
professional_Alison : I have read your other question about the swim suit and I don't think you should make him buy his own one as it looks like you disapprove of the idea and this in turn could make him embarrassed. If you were doing it to teach him the value of money then that would be a different matter. If you go along with his wish for a swim suit, he will feel supported by you and able to fulfil his desire without feeling embarressed which is important.
professional_Alison, Child Care
Experience: Degree in early years,16 years experience in childcare
Expert:  earthsister replied 4 years ago.
Good afternoon. I do not think that you telling him he has to use his own money to buy a bathing suit will have a negative impact on him. If you do not want to support him buying a bathing suit, but at the same time are willing to encourage his own sense of originality, then allowing him to get it, but with his own money would be the thing to do (and explain that to him). Simply telling him no may cause him to rebel; Also explain to him, that what could have a negative impact on him is if his peers or others find out about him wearing the bathing suit. He needs to understand the consequences of his own personal choices (especially when they contradict those of society). If you have any other questions about my answer, please let me know. I wish you the best.