earthsister
earthsister, Parent
Experience:  Home Child Care Provider, and mother of 4; two pre-teen boys and twin baby girls.
67703226

My wife two kids and my myself live in with my parents. I have

My wife two kids and my myself live in with my parents. I have been over weight most of my life and my father is a diabetic, so we limit the sugary foods our kids eat.
Whn my 3 yr. old decideds to sleep in his own beed (another issue) He wakes up his grandpa in the morning (before I wake up) who feeds him breakfasts. This morning he had a waffle 2 poptart a brownie a cup of juice and a cup of chocolate milk (all within 2 hours.)
I have asked him not to do this but every time he gets defensive about it. It happens everytime my son wakes up before I do. What should I do?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  earthsister replied 2 years ago.

earthsister :

Good morning. I would like to assist you if I may.

earthsister :

If I may ask, who is generally the one who purchases the food for the household?

Customer:

My parents do.

earthsister :

At about what time does your son wake up his grandfather?

Customer:

Different times. This morning it was 6. It's been as early as 4.

earthsister :

Do your parents generally use their money to purchase the food, your money,or a collective of everyone's money?

Customer:

Their money.

earthsister :

I would first recommend that you and your wife make the time to do some shopping on your own, using your own money to purchase the items that you approve of your children eating.

Customer:

We do buy breakfast foods like oatmeal and cereal and that is one of the things we have told my dad, that doesn't seem to work.

earthsister :

Keep these items available, so that your parents have access to them, and explain to them (although I know you have tried already), but keep talking to them about how you do not want your children to be overweight, or suffer from diabetes (which is possible, even at their young age) as you and your father have.

earthsister :

4 am is quite early, however, if at all you can manage to wake up before your son, and your father, do it. Set your alarm, and wake early so that you can be the one to provide breakfast for your children.

earthsister :

Because these are your parents, they already feel that they have some sort of authority over their grandchildren. The fact that you live in their home and they provide most of the food doesn't help things either. I don't know your whole living situation, but the best way that you will be able to control the foods that your children eat, is to move in to your own home. This way, you are in complete control. Until this is possible, keep talking to dad about the importance of maintaining the health of your children; and whenever you can, set that alarm clock extra early.

earthsister :

Let me know if any of what I have provided is of assistance, or if you need more ideas or insight.

Customer:

I think we are going to try to buy "approved" foods for my son, but I still am not sure if that is going to help. But it is the one thing that we have not tried.

Customer:

This is very frustrating. We are trying to get my son to not come into our room at night and every time we succeed we wake up to find that he has eaten all that garbage.

earthsister :

I understand your frustration, I have experienced this same issue with my sons and their grandmother in the past.

earthsister :

It got better as I continued talking to her, and as I provided food that I approved of or them.

Customer:

My son goes to bed at 8pm but wakes up between 4 and 9 am every morning so it's hard to know what time to get up and make breakfast. I don't want to wake him up to eat at 4 if he is going to sleep till 8.

earthsister :

I understand. If at all possible, without causing an issue between you and your father, see if there is any way that you can keep possession of the junk foods, say, in your room.

earthsister :

In trying to get your son to sleep in his own bed, and perhaps also helping the eating situation, try sleeping in his room with him for a few days, for the whole night. You sleep on the floor on a comforter or sleeping bad, etc, while he sleeps in his bed. That way, you wake up with him to provide him breakfast, and he also learns to sleep in his own bed.

Customer:

I will try that.

earthsister :

After sleeping on the floor for a few days, move into a chair in his room, until he is asleep, and then a few days later, move the chair into the hallway, until he sleeps.

earthsister :

Give it a try, it may work. And still, if all else fails, don't hesitate to (either you or your wife) get in bed early, so that you can wake up early and beat your son and dad to the breakfast rush.

Customer:

I'll try a few of those things. thanks

earthsister :

You are welcome. I mistakenly disabled my "ACCEPT" button when you attempted to accept previously. I will now make it available, and I thank you. If you have any other questions, on this or any other parenting issue, please let me know, I will be more than happy to try to be of assistance. I wish you all the best!

Customer:

Thanks

earthsister, Parent
Experience: Home Child Care Provider, and mother of 4; two pre-teen boys and twin baby girls.
Hi

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
earthsister