earthsister
earthsister, Parent
Experience:  Home Child Care Provider, and mother of 4; two pre-teen boys and twin baby girls.
67703226

The attachment between a child and the parent or a regular

Customer Question

The attachment between a child and the parent or a regular caregiver is normally very strong.
Describe how an attachment is formed and what type of tests can be done to determine the levels and types of attachment issues. Does a child’s culture or where the child is being raised have any significant bearing on the style and level of attachment? Explain.
One of the measurements that can be used to determine a child's developmental progression is to compare the development of the child to the typical developmental milestones. Some examples of developmental milestones are when an infant first sits up, crawls, and walks. There are also developmental milestones for communication and emotional and social development.

Why is it so important to understand a child's developmental milestones, especially those for communication and social and emotional development? Developmental milestones from birth through five years and describe the ones you find interesting. Give reasons for your preference.

I have to get two peoples opinions on these questions and compare the two in an essay so I am looking for and opinion. For the question please give at least a paragraph or two.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  professional_Alison replied 2 years ago.

professional_Alison :

Hello there, may I help you? The attachment process begins as soon as the child is born with the primary care giver bonding the the child through skin to skin contact, cuddling when feeding and eye contact. This develops further as the child grows and is taught by the caregiver to do things for themselves. They rely on that person and will go to them for reassurance, support and guidance.

professional_Alison :

Different cultures does affect attachment, some cultures have more emphasis on skin to skin contact and touch whereas others do not enourage the child to be cuddled, held and this is turn can effect a childs abilty to bond and be tactile to others later on in life. If a child is brought up in a family which is not affectionate i believe the bond would be very different to one who openly gives cuddles, lots of contact and eye contact.

professional_Alison :

If a child has an attachment to the caregiver they are more likely to be confident to try new things and be confident and well rounded. With the ability to go forth and bond with others.

professional_Alison :

In the early days a baby will play in solitary (alone) as they grow and develop they will play in paralle;

(side by side)

professional_Alison :

sorry parallel and then they will begin to form attachments to others and play co-operatively (together). This is very interesting to observe.

professional_Alison :

Watching children in a social situation, learning to share and think about other childrens feelings are all part of social and emotional development and these are learnt through play and with the support of a caregiver. A secure child who has formed an attachment will thrive in social situations and develop reaching these milestones and have a better understanding of emotions.

professional_Alison :

I hope these opinions will be of use to you, I will be happy to discuss this with you further.

Expert:  earthsister replied 2 years ago.

Good morning, I will be more than happy to share my opinion about the attachment between a child and the parent or a regular caregiver . There are several kinds of attachments that child psychologists have discovered, the first being a secure attachment; in this kind of attachment, the child looks for comfort from his/her caregiver, and when given support and reassurance, is able to let go of his or her caregiver, and explore and play. The second form of attachment is Anxious-Ambivalent Insecurely Attached; in this kind of attachment, the child may be highly stressed in new scenarios, even when his/her caregiver is present. The child will cry and panic when separated from caregiver, and when his or her caregiver returns, may show signs of anger or frustration. Third, the Avoidant Insecurely Attached child doesn't really cry when caregiver leaves the room, and when the caregiver returns, generally shows little or no emotion. Children with this kind of attachment seek comfort as well, though often through toys or other objects. Finally, the Disorganized-Disoriented, Insecurely Attached child, shows behavior that crosses all the other forms of attachment; he or she may cry for the caregiver, but when the caregiver approaches begins to avoid the caregiver, and even freeze in place or fall on the floor.

The common view as to how these types of attachments develop are as a result of either physical or emotional isolation (or both). The physically isolated child is not often held, or given hugs, kisses, or physical attention from his or her caregiver. A child who is emotionally isolated, although held and kept around his or her caregiver, does not have their emotional needs met, (are ignored when talks to caregiver, lacks being consoled when hurt, etc.). Physical and emotional isolation are causes of the three insecure attachment types.

I have to step out briefly, but I will return with more of my view in regards XXXXX XXXXX question. If you have any specific questions about what I have provided so far, please leave me a message, and I will get back to you soon. Thank you.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX on child/caregiver attachment, "The Strange Situation". This study was developed by a psychologist named Mary Ainsworth to document how babies and young children respond when briefly taken from their mother ( I say mother because that is who is involved in the majority of these studies). In this study, the mother and child are left alone in a room with a lot of toys and other objects interesting to babies and young children. The child explores the room in the presence of his mother, then suddenly a stranger enters and engages the mother in conversation. Then the stranger focuses attention on the child (distracting him or her) as his/her mother sneaks away out of the room. After a few minutes, the mother returns and comforts her child, and then leaves again, this time with the stranger. Shortly after, the stranger returns alone and engages the child, and then finally the child's mother returns and consoles him/her child again.

The findings from this experiment have shown that securely attached children explore the room when their mother is there, explores less when she is away, and often cried or were distressed, but showed happiness when she returned. After the secure child was consoled, he or she would be ready to explore again. The avoidant insecure child didn't explore much, and doesn't show much emotion when his or her mother leaves. The child also would possibly ignore his or her mother when she returned. The resistant insecure child also explored little, but showed great amounts of distress when mother was away. When mom returned, the child may show frustration and anger. The disorganized insecure child showed combinations of confusion and anxiety throughout the entire experiment, and are those seen as being at highest risk for emotional, developmental and behavioral issues in life.

There are definitely differences in the process of attachment across cultures, and it is also extremely dominant, regardless of culture, across gender. Girls are commonly given more hugs, kisses, and physical (and even often emotional) attention, as boys are not. It is important to understand a child's developmental milestones so that they can be supported in the level of development that they are in. Each child needs to be encouraged developmentally in regards XXXXX XXXXX they (individually) are at (not too advanced or behind where they are). The developmental milestone from birth to 5 years that I find most interesting is from about 9 months to a year, when children begin to gain the ability to stand, creep, walk, and gain the apposition of their thumb and forefinger. At this stage with such new abilities, a child's development boosts as they are able to explore and experiment with much more. I hope that I didn't give you too much, but I wanted to be sure that I covered all of the points that you asked about. If you have any further questions, or need me to elaborate on anything, please let me know. Thank you.

earthsister, Parent
Experience: Home Child Care Provider, and mother of 4; two pre-teen boys and twin baby girls.