professional_Alison, Child Care
Experience:  Degree in early years,16 years experience in childcare

hi, I have a 5 yr old daughter and a 3 year old son. My daughter

I have a 5 yr old daughter and a 3 year old son. My daughter is v clever, ranking above the national average. Recently her behaviour has changed for the worst. She gets very miserable, is moody first thing in the morning and can be in general quite horrible, which is out of character for her. This has been going on for a couple of months now and is getting progressively worse.Her school is not a great school and the children are more below average intelligence than above and I'm worried now that this behaviour is behaviour that is here to stay.When her behaviour is horrid, i put her on the thinking cushion and she's really sorry. i feel that we are really disconnected as mother and child and i reall y miss her. Any ideas?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  professional_Alison replied 4 years ago.

professional_Alison : Hello there, may I help you? I am wondering if you daughter is very bright is she is perhaps board as not being stretched enough at school. The behaviour she is demonstrating would point towards this fact.

Hi Thankyou,

I have wondered if that may be the situation as I know that she is not being stretched and although i have raised this with her teacher, she says that for now she is getting all that she needs inthe classroom which i know is def not the case but what do i do or go next?

professional_Alison : Have you considered a private tutor?? This will provide extra stimulation . If the school is not very good and are not willing to support her educational needs would you consider looking at another school?
professional_Alison : Have you talked with you daughter to see if she can tell you if something is wrong?

this school was not our first choice and we're on the waiting lists for other schools but a private tutor is something that we are going to action. I have talked to her to see if something is wrong but she says nothing is wrong.

professional_Alison : You could also get some work books for her. Perhaps enrol her in some clubs such as swimming and ballet too.
professional_Alison : Plan some things you can do together after school such as baking.

Yes she's very active, she already does ballet, tap & drama, swimming and gymnastics and trampolining. I do try to do things such as baking with her and we have work books that go through, its just her attitude to everything seems so dire at the moment. If you think the route of personal tutor is the way forward then thats what we'll do.

professional_Alison : I hope I have answered your question do let me know if I can assist you further. Please accept if I have answered your question.