professional_Alison
professional_Alison, Child Care
Experience:  Degree in early years,16 years experience in childcare
65051498

Question on baby sleeping on own. Hello. My daughter is

Question on baby to soothe herself to sleep.

Hello. My daughter is 2 months old now. Every meal I do breastfeeding first, and then bottlefeeding. (My milk is not enough for her meal size). In the past she always have fallen asleep straight after her bottlefeeding and burping.

But starting last week, she stays wide eyed awake after the feedings. Guess she is now older and pattern changes. When we put her straight to bed, she does not cry but would be quite active moving her limbs, coo with her plushie toy, and after 20 minutes of active movement she would start crying for attention. Seems she won't drowse off to sleep on her own. What we do to make her sleep now is -- Either her dad will put her on his shoulder with pattings, or I will give her my breast again and after some suckings she gets drowsy and sleeps sound.

I would like to ask if what we are doing is not a good practice. I've read some articles and books saying we parents should train babies to sleep on their own without nursing to sleep or without other aids. What is the best time to train her to sleep? Is 2 months too early for her to do so? Thank you for your advice.

More info:

- she has already been sleeping through the night from 12:30 am to 6:00 ~ 8 am since week 6.
- her fuzzy time which she does not sleep well are evenings till 12 am. 

professional_Alison : Hello there, may I help you? It is best to start sleep training as early as possible. When you put your baby down and she is fed and happy even if she plays for a little while that's ok and if she has a little cry before she falls asleep that is normal too and part of her sleep training and learning to self soothe.
professional_Alison : I can recommend a good book from amazon The No-Cry Sleep Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Baby Sleep Through the Night: Foreword by William Sears, M.D. (Paperback)William Sears, Elizabeth Pantley.
Customer:

Thank you for helping me. How long or to what extent shall I leave her cry before she falls to sleep? It seems she just cry and cry and becomes more awake... (or maybe I am not letting her cry long enough to get into sleep?) Do babies cry to sleep really?

professional_Alison : Please let meknowifi if I can assist you further.
Customer:

professional_Alison : Yes it idol to let them have a little cry before they sleep it's a natural pattern of a pre sleep cry. If she crus for longer than 10 minutes go in and pick her up and have a cuddle intil she is calm then return her to her cot. The next time go on and stroke her face and in a quiet voice talk to her and soothe her. Do this after 10 minute intervals and she will soon settle into a routine. Don't worry if it takes a couple of nights, there will be a period of adjustment.
professional_Alison : I know it is very hard to hear them crying and it helps if you have someone there with you to support you. Also set a timer as this helps too.
professional_Alison : I hope I have answered your question let me know how you get on. I will be happy to assist you if you need further advise.
professional_Alison : Please accept of I have answered your question so I may be compensated for my time.
Customer:

Thank you for your advice! I'll go click on the accept button now.