professional_Alison
professional_Alison, Child Care
Experience:  Degree in early years,16 years experience in childcare
65051498

my 15 months old daughter does not sit to eat. meal time and

my 15 months old daughter does not sit to eat. meal time and eat is always on the go. she walks around in the house and take one spoon and follow with another after few minutes and so on. its very tiring for me, but every time I put her in a high chairs with toys or TV she is excited for five minutes and then she no longer wants to continuie. I know I have to introduce the eating time concept for her. but I do not know how. she is the kind of baby who is always on the go, she rarely sit down to do anything.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  professional_Alison replied 2 years ago.

professional_Alison : Hello there, may I help you? Mealtime routine is important to start from an early age. If you sit your daughter up in her high chair at mealtimes make it fun and a positive experience.make it into a game if possible flying the spoon as a plane into her mouth. If she does reasonable well with her meal then allow her dessert if she does not eat do not give her dessert. Try to stick to set times for meals and only have snacks at the table at set times too. Do not allow her to walk around with food. If she wants a snack she will Soon learn she has to sit up at the table. It will also help if you eat meals with her making it a sociable time for you both to enjoy.
professional_Alison : If she refuses to eat very little food then let her get down but dont let her come back for more later. Make her wait until snack time.
professional_Alison : If she has difficulty sitting still introduce a little dinner time song that you sing when it's food time, praise her for each mouthful too.
professional_Alison : I know it can seem daunting but if you stick to a routine and don't give in and let her eat walking around or between meal and snack times she will quickly accept the new routine.
professional_Alison : Please let me know if I can assist you further.
Customer:

which age you think is better to start this routine and be realistic about it.. how about if she does not eat

professional_Alison : Start now, the earlier the better. If she does not eat her meal then she will have a snack but make her wait until then without anything I between so say breakfast at 8am snack at 10am, lunch at 12, snack at 2.30 and dinner at 5pm. Stick to these times and if she doesnt eat she hasto wait until the next food time.
professional_Alison : This will work I can promise you. It may be difficult I the first few days but she will soon learn and understand the new rules.
professional_Alison : I will be happy to assist you further.
professional_Alison : I hope this has helped answer your question.
Customer:

yes it does.. thanks. one more question. I have any new a nanny replacing the old one. I understand that its not ideal to do so many changes for the child at the same time. so should I start now or wait till she get used to the new nanny

professional_Alison : The other point I would like to add is this is all new to her so there will be a period of adjustment and she may protest at having to eat only in her high chair but stick with it. You are in charge and are installing good grounding and manners for the future.
professional_Alison : Please accept if I have answered your question.
professional_Alison : I would start straight away so she has new rules she can accept with you and the new nanny the longer you leave it the harder it will be. I have been a nanny for over 10 years and this has worked for me or lots of different children.
Customer:

ok thanks

professional_Alison, Child Care
Experience: Degree in early years,16 years experience in childcare