earthsister
earthsister, Parent
Experience:  Home Child Care Provider, and mother of 4; two pre-teen boys and twin baby girls.
67703226

i have a four year old son that is very smart but i am having

Customer Question

i have a four year old son that is very smart but i am having trouble getting him on the pot
Category: Parenting
Expert:  earthsister replied 2 years ago.

earthsister :

Good morning. Yes, four year olds can be difficult. I have a 12 and 11 year old, so I'm done with them; but my twin 1 year olds are well on their way. What have you tried to encourage him so far?

XXXXX XXXXX528 :

sometimes he will stand up and peepee in the toliet but that is only sometimes. but as far as moving his bowels he will not do it.

earthsister :

Well first and foremost, remove (if any) the pressure on him to use the toilet. It is common that children resist when they are ordered or lectured about doing something. Have a discussion with him about where pee pee and poop come from, and how they come out of our bodies. Then, let him decide when to use the potty, even reminding him puts pressure on him, let him make the decision when he's ready.

earthsister :

Offer him rewards, some special treat that he enjoys, and doesn't get all the time, for using the toilet. Make sure that the toilet area is comfortable for him (appropriate seating, maybe even some books or toys that he can play with around; sit and read him a story during, and remember, no pressure). To help him pee, it may help to toss some cheerios in the bowel, and let him do target practice.

earthsister :

Are you still there?

earthsister :

If you need any further assistance, don't hesitate to ask. I wish you all the best!

Expert:  professional_Alison replied 2 years ago.

Hello there, may I help you? I have a few ideas that may be able to help you, I have been working with young children for 17 years and have potty trained many times.

The important thing to remember is all children are different and are ready at different times to control their bladder and bowels.

It is important to introduce him gradually to the idea of training, explain what you are going to do but make it sound very special and exciting. Keep him in nappys but for an hour a day to begin with put him in pants and try using the potty about very 15 minutes, if nothing happens keep to this for a week or two, then increase to an hour in the morning and afternoon. Increase the time as the successes become more frequent or if he is asking to use the potty.

If nothing happened when he uses the potty simply say well done for trying. If he does do something make a big fuss, I used to do a wee wee dance which all my charges loved, we clapped and cheered and they had a big hug. Its about praise and building confidence.

Have a progress chart daily and every time he does a wee, let him choose a sticker to put on the chart, have a small reward for 1st wee, then 5, 10 and 20 wees, perhaps a new book or some bubbles nothing food related.

Take him shopping to choose some big boy pants too. Make it a special thing so he feels important and excited.

Here are some books to help him with the idea of using the potty. Available from Amazon Pirate Pete's Potty: A Ladybird potty training book [Board book] Andrea
Pinnington
(Author)

Here is one that may help you too, also from Amazon Potty Training Boys, Dr
Caroline Fertleman
(Author), Simone Cave.

I hope I have answered your question, please let me know if I can assist you further.

Good morning, I am just checking to see whether or not my answer was of any help to you. Let me know if there is any other way that I can be of assistance. Have a great day!