Coach Jen K.
Coach Jen K., LMSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Master Social Worker. Certified Coach Mom of Twins.
64783947

What is a good time for a 5 and 6 year old boy go to bed at

Customer Question

What is a good time for a 5 and 6 year old boy go to bed at night? Can they stay up longer when there is no school? They don't nap during the day. Thank you.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Coach Jen K. replied 2 years ago.

CoachJenK :

Hi. Welcome. I am a Licensed Master Social Worker with more than 20 years experience working with individuals and families. I am also a mom of Twins.

CoachJenK :

There is no real set time, it is truly up to you and your family norms around this....

CoachJenK :

I can say that kids do much better with a routine and keeping to the same schedule day after day and night after night even if there is no school.

CoachJenK :

a few minutes here or there isn;t crucial.

CoachJenK :

what time are they going in now?

Customer:

around ten o'clock, and I think that is too late

CoachJenK :

yes way too late...for sure...how are their moods during the day?

Customer:

they are okay. It is just that they fall asleep on the sofa around 10 PM, and then my husband carries them to bed. By then I am long asleep (have to get up early). We argue a lot about this, and I realized that I really didn't know what a good bed time is.

CoachJenK :

I think for them it should be in bed by 8....bath time before...stories in bed and leave the room by 8:15

CoachJenK :

It wont be met without protest, but this routine is a healthy one for them and for you.

CoachJenK :

plus they should be falling asleep in their beds and not the couch

CoachJenK :

and the two of you need to be on the same page for sure as they will pick up on it and use it to their advantage when you begin to make the switch.

CoachJenK :

if you decide to make this switch then talk with them about it before hand and make it fun...

CoachJenK :

mommy and daddy are going to do some new and fun things before bedtime with you.

CoachJenK :

we will have dinner, then take a cozy bath, get you in your pjs and get you into your beds. We will read some books and then hug and kiss goodnight.

CoachJenK :

Mommy and Daddy are tired at night and we need that time too to sleep in our bed alone.

CoachJenK :

remember you are not asking their position only letting them know in advance what the change will be

CoachJenK :

*permission

CoachJenK :

you will also see an improvemtn in your relationship with your husband if you stick to this EVERY night.

CoachJenK :

are you still with me?

CoachJenK :

let me know if i can still help you

Expert:  earthsister replied 2 years ago.
Bed time for children may change with the seasons. In the summer, as it stays sunny longer, it may be difficult to get a child to fall asleep before dark. Depending on where you live, it is generally dark, or getting there by 9pm. If you must have the children in bed before this (and even if 9pm is a good time for both you and your husband), be sure that your boys are getting enough stimulation and activity during the day (along with a good diet,and little or no sugar) so that they will be mentally and physically tired when the evening arrives. Active children during the day make for tired children at night. I wish you all the best!
I wanted to touch base again as I believe there may have been some technical issues in the chat as it kept initializing and then saying you were stepping in and out.

I think in addition to talking about the proper bed time you are also talking about some deeper parental issues of you and your spouse not being on the same page with things, setting a schedule and a routine and following through with it. I feel I might also sense some undermining of your desires so I am wondering if I am on target about that? Sugar and daylight aren't really the factors here...it seems more about boundaries and following through as long as you and your husband agree.

I am sorry that the chat was closed by the other expert responding, but you can respond to me here and write for Jen at the beginning so I know you are wanting to communicate with me. I look forward to hearing back from you.
Coach Jen K., LMSW, CPC
Experience: Licensed Master Social Worker. Certified Coach Mom of Twins.