earthsister
earthsister, Parent
Experience:  Home Child Care Provider, and mother of 4; two pre-teen boys and twin baby girls.

KIA Carens: HI, I have a 14 months old daughter, I am trying

HI, I have a 14 months old daughter, I am trying to adjust her sleeping hours to better match my day. I am not sure if I am doing the right things for her. she sleeps @ 8:00 every day and wakes up at 6:00 in morning, latest by 6:15 crying and wanting to nurse (I am still breast feeding her) she nurses for 30:40 min and most of the times, then most of the time the day starts for her, and some times she goes to sleep again for an additional hour. she naps for two hours from 11:00 ~ 1:00 (never straight .. usually wakes up for a min and then sleep again). For the past two days I am trying to cut down her nap time so she sleeps longer and does not wake up at 6:00 in the morning.. so far she still wake up at the same time in the morning and I feel that she is not getting enough sleep . am I doing the right thing ?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  professional_Alison replied 1 year ago.

professional_Alison : Hello there, may I help you? Thank you for consulting Just Answer. If you want to encourage your daughter to sleep longer at night, you are doing the right thing by cutting down her daytime sleep. Try to keep her up longer during the day so she goes down at say 12.00 then get her up after an hour. She should then go down a bit earlier to bed as she will be tired. As for waking early that will be trial and error. If she still wakes early try to keep her up until 8pm as you are now. At fourteen months she still needs a daytime sleep unless she is not showing signs of tiredness. Stick to your new routine and remember it may take her a little time to adjust too. Don't worry you are doing the right things! If she wakes early also try putting a few soft toys at the end of her cot so she can play and entertain herself for a short time. Please let me know if I can assist you further. If I have answered your question please click accept.
professional_Alison, Child Care
Experience: Degree in early years,16 years experience in childcare
Expert:  KaterB1270 replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning. I would like to offer this article as a good guide to your child's sleep needs. Children at your daughters age need about 14 hours of sleep with about 11 of those hours coming at night. I would suggest working first on getting your child to sleep later in the morning. I would start by moving her evening bedtime back about 30-45 minutes. Her body should respond by sleeping later in the morning. It may take a few weeks to see a change in her schedule. I would then start moving her nap a little later in the afternoon. Since she will be sleeping later adjusting the nap time later in the afternoon (after lunch is a great time) should compensate for the time she is sleeping in the morning.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_establishing-healthy-sleep-habits-12-to-18-months_7682.bc

I hope this information is helpful to you and your daughter. Don't worry about not doing things right as a parent. Part of being a parent is learning things by trial and error. Hang in there and be patient :)

If I can be of any assistance please don't hesitate to ask.

KateB

Expert:  earthsister replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. You said that your daughter goes to sleep at 8pm,and wakes at 6am. Does she sleep that whole time straight,or does she wake at any point in the middle of the night?
First, be sure that your daughter is getting the right amount of activity during the day to help settle her in at night. A busy baby during the day makes for a tired baby at night. Wind her down with a warm bubble bath and a story at night. I have twin (14-month old today) daughters, who are also breast fed. It is common that breastfed babies wake for a feeding or two throughout the night, that is why I asked the previous question. Another possible suggestion for getting your daughter to sleep longer into the morning is to try waking her in the middle of the night for a feeding. This will help to keep her belly full for longer into the morning, and perhaps she may not wake as early. Babies are different; there is no blue-print to how they should sleep, when, or for how long; 10-14 hours is the average. I wish you all the best!
earthsister, Parent
Experience: Home Child Care Provider, and mother of 4; two pre-teen boys and twin baby girls.