earthsister
earthsister, Parent
Experience:  Home Child Care Provider, and mother of 4; two pre-teen boys and twin baby girls.
67703226

My grandson (I am also his guardian) is not currently in school

My grandson (I am also his guardian) is not currently in school and I am trying to get him to work on helpful worksheets to keep his skill level up. He won't do them at all. What can I try?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  earthsister replied 2 years ago.

earthsister :

Good afternoon. How old id your grandson?

earthsister :

pardon me, "is"

Customer :

14

Customer :

Are you coming back?

earthsister, Parent
Experience: Home Child Care Provider, and mother of 4; two pre-teen boys and twin baby girls.
Expert:  professional_Alison replied 2 years ago.
Hello there, may I help you? I have some suggestions to help you with your grandson.

Sitting filling out worksheets although it can form part of his learning can be a bit boring. You need to vary the learning, involve cookery in your science for example, shopping in your mathematics, project planning in your english, days out in history and geography. Use the computer, books, dvds, outings and library visits to make it varied and interesting. Encourage him to do a variety of different activities to tie in with the curriculum. Swimming, bowling, running for P.E. Encourage him to make presentation posters, booklets, even speeches.

Keep his attention by trying to use topics which he is interested in and use them in the curriculum.

I would definitely suggest that in order to get your 14 year old to do worksheets to improve his skill level, you should set up a reward system. Praise and acknowledgment is good as well, but children often want to see immediate results, in terms of what they can get out of it. Reward his effort and accomplishment by extended stay awake time, tv time, or time out with friends. Give him little bonuses when he does well, such as music downloads, free on line game downloads or whatever other not too expensive rewards you think may encourage him to do the work and do it well. I wish you all the best!

May I recommend a good book for some advice too available from Amazon: Unqualified Education - a practical guide to learning at home age 11-18 by Gareth Lewis, Bethan XXXXX, XXXXXual Lewis, and Wendy Lewis.

Teach your own - The john Holt book of home schooling by John Holt and Pat Farenga.

Expert:  proexpert37 replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for consulting Just Answer. The main issue at hand here is why your grandson is at home. Is he on summer break? Is he at home for disciplinary reasons? Worksheets are "drill and kill" methods of remediation and enrichment. There are several websites that you can use . The first one is ce.byu.edu. It is used as an independent study and to earn or make up high school credits. The classes are reasonably priced and students are allowed to work at their own pace. Another alternative would be to check into K12.com. It is a completely free online public school. There are private school alternatives online as well. If your grandson will be at home for great lengths of time, this would be a viable option...public or private online distance learning. Individual classes can be taken too! Additionally, you may want to employ a private tutor who can use innovative teaching strategies and techniques to keep the learning process enjoyable. Another alternative would be to check out your local adult schools. There are a plethora of programs available for teens who are at home for various reasons.Hope this has provided you with more of a sense of direction and specific options that you may find useful.Have an awesome and wonderful day!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you, you have given options that I hadn't thought of. I will take your advise to heart and work on a solution. He is not in school for disciplinary reasons, as you figured out. Again, thank you! Linda

You are certainly most welcome. Thank you for your appreciation of my services. Good luck and take care!