proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

can a parent overide the decision to retain a child twice in

Customer Question

can a parent overide the decision to retain a child twice in the same grade?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  earthsister replied 4 years ago.

earthsister :

There may be certain regulations depending on where you live determining whether or not you can over-turn such a decision. Groups that may be able to help you determine how to handle this situation are: the Center for Law and Education, in Washington, D.C., the Public Interest Law Center of Philadelphia, the Disability Rights Education and Defense Fund in Berkeley, California, or another similar organization. I wish you the best!

Expert:  proexpert37 replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for consulting Just Answer. I am sorry to hear about the prospects that your child may be faced with repeating another grade. If it is district policy, then it will be hard to overturn with a parental decision. However, being retained another year in the same grade is not in the best interest of the child . He/she will get ridiculed and probably develop low self esteem especially if he/she stays at the same school.

The concern is why would your child be retained a second time? What intervention techniques were utilized that failed? Retention a second time probably would not produce beneficial results and do more harm than good. If your son or daughter is that far below grade level, you should have met with the teachers, principal, and school psychologist to discuss academic progress on a continuous basis beforehand. Maybe you child needs to be tested for learning difficulties. Maybe he/she has a processing, vision, executive functioning, or attention problem. As a parent, you have a right to demand testing be done to determine if any of these features are present. Put your request in writing. It is late in the school year so testing may not start until next year. If your child is found out to have a disability, he or she will receive special services and not have to be retained.

You can always use an outside of school specialist who can test for learning disabilities but it is rather costly and very time consuming but may be worth it. You can take the results to the school.

Also, you may want to mention the issues to your child's pediatrician. He/she can diagnose certain conditions such as ADD with the recommendations and summaries from your child's teacher.

I know that this is a lot to take in but it should provide you with some reflective insight and a sense of direction.

Have a beautiful day!!!
I noticed that you have mentioned your child is doing well with his tutor, but in school he is failing to finish and turn in assignments. Children are different and each individual learns in different ways. While the classroom structure may work best for some, other children thrive in being schooled at home, or in a smaller class, where more personalized attention can be given to each student. Based off of what you mentioned about his success with tutoring, I am assuming that his academic failure is a result of lack of effort, not lack of ability, nor due to a disability. This link provides insight into how to determine what kind of setting your child learns best in:

Here is another helpful article that gives further insight into selecting the best school or educational choice for your child:

I would recommend that you speak to one of our Law Experts in helping you determine whether or not you can, and how to overturn the decision to hold your child back a second time. Please feel free to contact me again if you need further assistance. I wish you all the best!
My answer was previously posted above.