How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask proexpert37 Your Own Question

proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 1374
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
proexpert37 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

can a parent overide the decision to retain a child twice in

Customer Question

can a parent overide the decision to retain a child twice in the same grade?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  earthsister replied 4 years ago.

earthsister :

There may be certain regulations depending on where you live determining whether or not you can over-turn such a decision. Groups that may be able to help you determine how to handle this situation are: the Center for Law and Education, in Washington, D.C., the Public Interest Law Center of Philadelphia, the Disability Rights Education and Defense Fund in Berkeley, California, or another similar organization. I wish you the best!

Expert:  proexpert37 replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for consulting Just Answer. I am sorry to hear about the prospects that your child may be faced with repeating another grade. If it is district policy, then it will be hard to overturn with a parental decision. However, being retained another year in the same grade is not in the best interest of the child . He/she will get ridiculed and probably develop low self esteem especially if he/she stays at the same school.

The concern is why would your child be retained a second time? What intervention techniques were utilized that failed? Retention a second time probably would not produce beneficial results and do more harm than good. If your son or daughter is that far below grade level, you should have met with the teachers, principal, and school psychologist to discuss academic progress on a continuous basis beforehand. Maybe you child needs to be tested for learning difficulties. Maybe he/she has a processing, vision, executive functioning, or attention problem. As a parent, you have a right to demand testing be done to determine if any of these features are present. Put your request in writing. It is late in the school year so testing may not start until next year. If your child is found out to have a disability, he or she will receive special services and not have to be retained.

You can always use an outside of school specialist who can test for learning disabilities but it is rather costly and very time consuming but may be worth it. You can take the results to the school.

Also, you may want to mention the issues to your child's pediatrician. He/she can diagnose certain conditions such as ADD with the recommendations and summaries from your child's teacher.

I know that this is a lot to take in but it should provide you with some reflective insight and a sense of direction.

Have a beautiful day!!!
Expert:  earthsister replied 4 years ago.
I noticed that you have mentioned your child is doing well with his tutor, but in school he is failing to finish and turn in assignments. Children are different and each individual learns in different ways. While the classroom structure may work best for some, other children thrive in being schooled at home, or in a smaller class, where more personalized attention can be given to each student. Based off of what you mentioned about his success with tutoring, I am assuming that his academic failure is a result of lack of effort, not lack of ability, nor due to a disability. This link provides insight into how to determine what kind of setting your child learns best in:

Here is another helpful article that gives further insight into selecting the best school or educational choice for your child:

I would recommend that you speak to one of our Law Experts in helping you determine whether or not you can, and how to overturn the decision to hold your child back a second time. Please feel free to contact me again if you need further assistance. I wish you all the best!
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 4 years ago.
My answer was previously posted above.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther Woodstock, NY
  • Thank you so much for taking your time and knowledge to support my concerns. Not only did you answer my questions, you even took it a step further with replying with more pertinent information I needed to know. Robin Elkton, Maryland
  • He answered my question promptly and gave me accurate, detailed information. If all of your experts are half as good, you have a great thing going here. Diane Dallas, TX

Meet The Experts:

  • Rafael M.T.Therapist

    Rafael M.T.Therapist

    Family Counselor

    Satisfied Customers:

    MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
< Last | Next >
  • Rafael M.T.Therapist's Avatar

    Rafael M.T.Therapist

    Family Counselor

    Satisfied Customers:

    MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
  • Cher's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Extensive Experience working with Children/Teens; M.A. Teacher/Tutor 40+ yrs.; Parent of 2
  • Jennifer's Avatar


    School Psychologist

    Satisfied Customers:

    Collaborative parent consultation on everything from modifying behavior to child development.
  • professional_Alison's Avatar


    Child Care

    Satisfied Customers:

    Degree in early years,16 years experience in childcare
  • Dr. L's Avatar

    Dr. L


    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed as psychologist and marriage and family therapist
  • Dr. Shirley Schaye's Avatar

    Dr. Shirley Schaye


    Satisfied Customers:

    PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy
  • Eveningstargazer's Avatar


    Family Counselor

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT)

Related Parenting Questions