KaterB1270, Teacher
Experience:  BS Family Consumer Sciences Ed. and Masters of Art in Teaching

Opening question do you feel that an IQ test given as a child

Customer Question

Opening question do you feel that an IQ test given as a child would be say important?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  professional_Alison replied 4 years ago.

professional_Alison : Hello there, may I help you? I don't think an I.Q test is important. If you want your child to take one if you believe they may be gifted that's slightly different. Children have different strengths in different areas that may not be relevant to an I.Q test.
professional_Alison : An I.Q test give you an idea if they are of higher intelligence academically than other children of the same age. If this was the case it would enable you to make plans to stretch the child's academic learning so they do not become board and can reach there full potential.
professional_Alison : If I can assist you further please let me know.
JACUSTOMER-r0uivwkz- :

I have a very high listen comprehention 99.6 at age nine. When my parents had friends over I was concernd about ding psychological damages fo not haveing done. Do you see this as paranoid?

professional_Alison : It may be that you were very bright in that area. It would not have been damaging that you did not have one done.
JACUSTOMER-r0uivwkz- :

That makes a child wonder about their parnts wther they care if they acually comprehend or not.

JACUSTOMER-r0uivwkz- :

Can you tell me how that is noy true?

JACUSTOMER-r0uivwkz- :

You can email later if you need time no rush.

professional_Alison : The school would do constant assessments on children and would pick it up if there was a problem. Perhaps the parents were not aware they had a very bright child.
professional_Alison : Through play when they are young it is easy to see if a child is not understanding and as they get older and complete tasks if the understanding was not there and the child was struggling, a parent would see this.
JACUSTOMER-r0uivwkz- :

Hmm t's not as though a matter of how bright the subject is it's wether s/he can be comfortable with the arrangment. How can they believe that I believ that with rehersal? Logically they shouldn't unless the ability was demonstrated.

JACUSTOMER-r0uivwkz- :

In other words there's really no other way to tell that I can think of.

professional_Alison :

Children can demonstrate a high academic ability from a young age by completeing tasks and activities beyond there years. Demanding to be stimulated more than children the same age.

professional_Alison :

If they were for example reading books at three then this would be a definite reason to test I.Q as the child would be deemed exceptional.

professional_Alison :

Within a nursery, pres school and school a child is continuously assessed and it would be brought to the parent s attention if the child was very bright and gifted in a particular area of learning. A program would then be set in place to encourage this area of learning to reach its full potential.

professional_Alison :

Schools do not use I.Q tests, if a child takes the schools assessments, they were then monitored, they are deemed as gifted and parents would be advised on how also to help them as home.

Expert:  KaterB1270 replied 4 years ago.
Are you asking about your own IQ testing? What is the background for why you think this might be needed? Has a shool recommended taking and IQ test to decide if the student is gifted in an area?

Hello again, I have found this article which may be of interest to you.

I was checking back in to see if you had any other questions about IQ testing? This is a very confusing assessment which is used in many ways.