Dr. L
Dr. L, Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed as psychologist and marriage and family therapist
63993671

How old does my child have to be before being safe in a bunk

How old does my child have to be before being safe in a bunk bed?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. L replied 5 years ago.

Dr Levang :

Dr Levang :

I would like to help you with your question.

Customer:

Thanks!

Dr Levang :

Moving to bunk beds can be an exciting time for a child....actually...moving out of the crib is the big delight!

Customer:

He is already in a single bed

Dr Levang :

Great so he has already made that transition. How is he feeling in a single bed? Safe? Comfortable?

Customer:

Yes, he is fine - we are just thinking for getting some new furniture in his room, not sure if he is too young to be safe in a top bunk

Dr Levang :

Most parents consider 3 1/2 to 4 as safe. A safety rail should be added for additional comfort.

Dr Levang :

There are different kinds of ladders and so that would be another consideration of how he will get in and out of bed.

Dr Levang :

Have you looked at different kinds of bunk beds to see which you feel are the safest and easiest to get in and out of for your guy?

Customer:

Not yet, we are thinking of getting a cabin bed so that he has a little sofa / cupboard area underneath

Dr Levang :

Sometimes parents put up the new bunk bed but keep the single bed in the room for a short while just so the child can transition from one to the other.

Dr Levang :

That sounds quite wonderful!

Customer:

Thats a good idea - thanks

Dr Levang :

Allowing him to have a say over bed coverings, pillows, color, or other amenities in the room will help him to be excited about this change and give him a sense of ownership and, thus, help to keep down any fears that might arise.