professional_Alison
professional_Alison, Child Care
Experience:  Degree in early years,16 years experience in childcare
65051498

My 19 month old son has been acting aggressively towards other

My 19 month old son has been acting aggressively towards other children/babies. He seems especially attracted to younger babies and approaches them and then either pulls their hair, scratches their face or headbutts them. I have no idea why he is behaving like this, he is a gentle, sensitve boy in most situations. It is getting so frequent that I feel unable to take him to anywhere where their are other children around. : (
Category: Parenting
Expert:  professional_Alison replied 4 years ago.

professional_Alison : Hello there, may I help you? This is not unusual behaviour at this age, so don't disparity you need to be consistant with your discipline and saying no to this behaviour and move him away from the child he has hurt. Don't stop him socialising with children his own age as he won't learn not to hurt them. It may also be that another child will do it back to him and he will quickly learn not to behave in this way. So remain firm and consistant and this will pass.
professional_Alison : Please let me know if I can help you further.
Customer:

I understand what you are saying but it seems the more I say no the more he seems to want to repeat the behaviour as if it is a game.

professional_Alison : I have experienced this situation with my own child and it will pass but you need to stay firm and consistant. I can assure you it will pass.
professional_Alison : He is old enough to understand no and is also testing you.
Customer:

ok but was there anything in partciular you did which seemed to work as I've been very consistent and it hasnt worked. He really isnt like any toher cvhildren in the groups i go to and its not just occassionally its like his obsessed with hurting other children? How long did the phase last with your children?

professional_Alison : Sit with them and follow them so you are near to deal with a child being hurt straight away with a firm no and removal from the toys and child involved. Also reinforce saying sorry with a stroke or a hug.
professional_Alison : It was a month or so of this consistency before the behaviour changed.
professional_Alison : Please accept if you are happy with my answer. If you try these methods and they don't work i would be happy to help you further.
Customer:

Thankyou for your time but I have already tried all your methods you have suggested and been very consitent with disciplin so I feel I havn't learnt anything new

professional_Alison : Perhaps speak to your health visitor for further advice.