professional_Alison
professional_Alison, Child Care
Experience:  Degree in early years,16 years experience in childcare
65051498

how do i get my 20 month old to sleep in his bed

professional_Alison :

Hello there, may I help you? Getting a child of 20 months old to sleep in his own bed requires consistency and routine. If he has a nice quiet wind down routine prior to bed, a nice bath and quiet story then a good night kiss and hug and you leave him to go to sleep.

professional_Alison :

If he gets up out of bed and comes into you, the first time you simply say bed time darling take him back and tuck him in, the second time you take him back and say its bed time now, the third, you dont interact just take him back to bed without a word. If he continues to bet up you keep taking him back without talking or eye contact. It may be hard the first couple of nights, but it really does work and your son will quickly realise that

professional_Alison :

if he keeps getting up you will just return him to his bed.

professional_Alison :

Consistency is key here. I can assure you it is very rewarding when you reap the rewards of a child that stays in their own bed.

professional_Alison :

He is trying to be in control and wanting you there which is normal but he will quickly learn your new bedtime routine. You just have to remain strong. Good luck! If I have answered your question please accept.

professional_Alison :

Did the above help you?

Customer:

Sorry, I made a mistake in the question. I should have said "crib" instead of bed. The real issue is that he will cry and cry for hours on end as soon as we put him in his crib and leave the room

professional_Alison :

does he have a comfort? Banket or soft toy he takes?

professional_Alison :

Do you read a bedtime story?

professional_Alison :

Do you leave soft lighting in the room?

Customer:

No he doesn't have a comfort. He won't take a soother, but like to bite the nipple on a baby bottle, but we are trying to wean him off the bottle.

Customer:

He doesn't have a light in his room

professional_Alison :

As long as you know there is nothing physically wrong with him, please be assured that this is a phase. I would advise giving him a special bedtime bear for cuddles at night and perhaps leave a little board book in his cot so he has something to sit and look at before bed. He needs to learn to self sooth in order to go to sleep alone. I know you said he will cry for hours on end. How long do you leave it before going back into him?

professional_Alison :

Perhaps have a plug in night light in his room to sooth him too.

Customer:

I'll try that

Customer:

We'll try a stuffed animal as well

professional_Alison :

Unfortunately you are in a catch twenty two position where he knows if he crys for long enough you will go in. Therefore it is a process of re learning the routine. Take him to choose the soft toy and use lots of discussion about the special bedtime bear that will sleep in the cot with him and keep him safe etc.

Customer:

Will do...thank you