Dr. L
Dr. L, Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed as psychologist and marriage and family therapist
63993671

My 4 year and 7 months grandchild is a very destructive child.

Customer Question

My 4 year and 7 months grandchild is a very destructive child. He is also very clever and remembers as early as a few days in hospital, things that happens to him and his mom in hospital. He is also very opsessed with a cellphone. He knows al the functions on a cell like bbm downloads sending of messages. He also knows when a message is coming through or when the phone needs charging. His mother can handle him and people dislikes him. How can we approach him because he is due for pre primary school next year.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  professional_Alison replied 4 years ago.

professional_Alison : Hello there, may I help you? You grandson sounds like a very bright child. If he is being destructive this may be due to boredom. He needs to be encouraged to use his energy in a positive way with activities that will stretch him. If he is interested in mobile phones perhaps look at getting him an age appropriate electronic toy that promotes learning. Or something to occupy him and use imagination such as Lego.
professional_Alison : Lots of interaction and Positive encouragement are key here. If he is stimulated you will find destructive behaviour will quickly disappear.
professional_Alison : Another idea is to keep him physically active, take him swimming, to the park, perhaps get him involved in a little football class. This will give him another area to focus his attention on and also be something special he does with his grandparents.
professional_Alison : An excellent book I can recommend is Clever children, a parents guide by Joan Freeman is available on Amazon.
professional_Alison : Please let me know of I can help you further. If I have answered your question please click accept.
Expert:  Dr. L replied 4 years ago.

I would like to help you with your question.

From what you posted, it sounds like your grandson is a curious and active youngster. I understand your concerns about his readiness for pre-primary and whether he will be able to adjust to this environment.

Can you tell me a bit more about his destructive behavior? And...why do people not like him? Is it because he is so active and not a calm, quiet child?

I would be very happy to chat with you more about your grandson.