Howard Wise
Howard Wise, Child Care
Experience:  Counseling with a compassionate ear and a loving heart.

I have a 2 1/2 year old that wont sleep in her own bed and

I have a 2 1/2 year old that won't sleep in her own bed and has to sleep with me. Now my 6 month old wants to sleep with us too. I don't know what to do because they share a room and they are different ages so the sleep techniques will be different. I feel like they will just keep crying and waking each other up. I need my own bed back for my sanity and for my marriage.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Howard Wise replied 4 years ago.
Good morning,

You must be tired! The solution to this problem is that you have to continue to return your older child to her bed every time she gets into your bed. When you do that you will pick her up and return her to her bed without saying anything. If she cries, you ignore the crying. During the first few nights you will have to do that over and over and over, however, in a few days this problem will be resolved.

Regarding your younger child, having her/him sleep in a crib would resolve that issue.

Feel free to post another question. If you are satisfied with my response please click "Accept."

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
but if I put the baby in her crib to sleep she will just cry. should i try to get one to sleep in their own bed at a time? I just don't know how I should do this since they share a room. I'm afraid they will just keep waking eachother up and it will be a vicious cycle.
Your baby will quickly learn that crying will not bring you to her and she will stop crying. Every time you go to her, when she is in her crib crying, that reinforces the crying behavior.

If it feels to overwhelming to you to work on this with both children at the same time then I think it would be appropriate to start with just one, however, that will extend the time it will take to resolve these issues.