professional_Alison, Child Care
Experience:  Degree in early years,16 years experience in childcare

My 14 year old son (who is quite mature in body) has recently

Customer Question

My 14 year old son (who is quite mature in body) has recently embarked on a relationship with a girl of similar age - so far we have had explicit pictures sent to his phone (which I made him delete) and despite several talks with him, I recently found a condom in his pocket. What should I be doing - trying to stop it or teaching them about safe sex - I can't think straight
Category: Parenting
Expert:  professional_Alison replied 4 years ago.

professional_Alison : Hello there, may I help you?
professional_Alison : Your son is still quite young to be involved in a sexual relationship and depending on the age of his girlfriend there is also a risk of being prosecuted for underage sex. Although you cannot insist that he doesn't sleep with his girlfriend you can remind him of the risks involved if the girls parents find out. On the positive side to ding a condom does mean he is thinking about taking precautions which is a good thing. With regards to explicit pictures you were right to make him delete them. He should've made aware of the trouble the pictures could cause if they got into the wrong hands. Your role here is to advise rather than insist what your son does. If you go in too hard he may rebel and take no notice.
professional_Alison : Although safe sex is important and if he is going to a head and do it anyway this is the angle to takeit is important to express the seriousness of the fact that they are underage .