proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
49595756

How can I teach my 21 month daughter to use the potty?

Customer Question

Category: Parenting
Expert:  Howard Wise replied 4 years ago.
Good afternoon,

Have you read any books or pamphlets about potty training?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No I'm not familiar with potty training at all.
I see. I can suggest a book for you to read. Will that be of help to you or are you looking for something else?
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for consulting Just Answer for your parenting needs. The journey of potty training will be full of ups and downs so just try to enjoy the ride. You will often hear parents say that their son or daughter was potty trained in as little as three days. Then when you try to potty train your child, you may become frustrated because it takes longer than you had expected. Every child is different. Potty training is a process. Every professional will tell you that a child will be able to be potty trained easier when he/she is ready no matter how much you as the parent are trying.

Your daughter is still young to be completely potty trained. However, you can slowly start the process by buying a little potty. Explain in her language what the potty is for. Periodically throughout the day, have her sit on the potty for a few minutes. If she pees in the potty, celebrate her success. If she does nothing, do not worry. As time progresses and you notice her pull up or diaper dry, sit her on the potty to pee. When she does, do a happy dance. You will feel good and so will she. Then you may try putting her in regular underwear in the daytime if she is having more successes at peeing in the little potty...around two and a half or three years old. Be prepared for accidents. Whatever you do, just do not become angry when she has accidents. However, pay attention to your daughter. She will give you signs of if you are pushing her too much. It will be a learning experience for both of you. If she goes to pre school or daycare, make sure that the personnel are following through with the same potty training actions that you have implemented at home. The nighttime potty training and bowel movements on the potty will come in time. Master the daytime peeing routine before embarking on those issues.

Good luck to you and your precious soon to be potty trained daughter!
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience: Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
Expert:  professional_Alison replied 4 years ago.
Hello there, may I help you? some good advice there by Jordan1314, may I also suggest reading her stories about potty training such as The potty book for girls by Alyssa Satin Cupucilli Stott available on amazon. There is also a very helpful book written by parents for parents called Top Potty Training tips and tricks by Budding books, also available from amazon. Good luck!
Another useful idea is if it is a nice day let her walk around without anything on her bottom half that way if she gets the feeling that she needs to go she is not struggling with clothing. The feeling of freedom will also help her to recognize when she needs to go as there is no clothing restricting or touching her bottom area.
Hello. Just remember that potty training is a matter of trial and error. What works for some may not work with your daughter. It will be a learning experience for you both.
Thanks!