proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

"FOR JORDAN 1314" One of my co-workers is the mother of a

One of my co-workers is the mother of a 12 year old boy named Michael. Michael has never been in trouble with the law before, but ever since his father died in a car accident over a year ago, Michael has skipped school and shoplifted. Michael's mother never wants to talk to him about his father. Michael's mother also says that Michael never listens to her anymore when she tells him to wash the dishes. I do believe Michael is still basically a good boy; I believe that he is just hurting. My question is this: What causes a boy who is going through this type of problem to skip school and shoplift? Is it because he wants a private place to grieve during school hours and while he is grieving to have some munchies to snack on if he gets hungry? Thank you for your assistance.
Hello and Thank You for consulting Just Answer. I am sorry to hear about the problems of Michael. I am glad that you are taking the time to search for answers for your co-worker. Michael may not have had complete closure regarding the death of his father. Death for a 12 year old is very traumatic and may be difficult to completely understand. If Michael's mother refuses to discuss the dad's death, it makes things difficult. Michael is probably shoplifting, skipping school, and being disobedient as attention seeking mechanisms. He misses his dad. He cannot talk to his mom. He is acting out his frustrations. A suggestion would be to have Michael see a child psychologist or counselor. He needs to release his feelings. He needs to learn and develop healthy coping mechanisms. Michael's mother may need to seek professional counseling as well.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.