How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask proexpert37 Your Own Question

proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 1374
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
proexpert37 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I hate my dad. Hes abusive but i dont have enough money to

This answer was rated:

I hate my dad. He's abusive but i don't have enough money to move out. What can i do?

professional_Alison : Hello there, may I help you? Have you tried talking to him about how you feel and letting him know you are unhappy. Try to find a compromise on both your parts that will helP solve this problem for you.
professional_Alison : Parents dont always things right even when they try their best. It may. E worth writing him a letter about how you are feeling if you think it may be hard to talk to him.
professional_Alison : The most important thing is to deal with problems before they become to big, you need to work together to improve your relationship .
professional_Alison : Your dad may not be aware of how you are feeling and the only way to solve this is to be brave and be honest about your feelings .
professional_Alison : Good luck and let me know if I can assist you further.
Hello and you for consulting Just Answer. What I ascertain from your brief description is the relationship with you and your dad is not on good terms. How long have you felt this way about your dad? Did something trigger your negative feelings? About how old are you? What would a perfect relationship look like with your dad? Does your mom live with you as well? Are you upset with the boundaries that your dad has imposed on you while living in the house? Please let me know and direct the answers to Jordan1314 so that I can assist you with your specific concerns. Have an awesome day.
Can I help you further?
Hello dear client. I will address some issues that will give you clarification as well as insight. If you are a minor and suffering any type of abuse, call the Department of Child and Family Services to seek assistance. If you are too reticent to call yourself, contact your school psychologist and confide in him or her. He or she can make the call for you.

Because your father has an abusive temperament and nature, you may want to talk to him in person in the company of another family member even if you are an adult. You may want to address unresolved issues of the past by telling your father that you forgive him and want to move forward. If past issues are too painful to address, then do not bring them up. Start from what you can work on today.

Writing a letter is too impersonal especially because you live in the same house. If you do plan to remain in the house, tell your father what you would like the features of your relationship to be without attacking his ways. Then ask your father what he can do to improve the relationship. If he does not want to improve the relationship and does not seem to care, seek the assistance of a professional counselor who can provide you with intervention and coping strategies in dealing with your dad.

Although I am not a legal expert, if you are an adult then you may want to contact your local law enforcement agency if the abuse is violent and you are in fear for your safety.

Unfortunately, your choices are limited. Can you go live with a close friend or other family member? That may be an option.

If none of the above mentioned ideas seem feasible, seek employment if you do not already have a job, save up money, and move out with a close friend.

If the relationship is too toxic and your dad refuses to change, you have no other choice but to leave once you have the financial resources.

I truly wish you the best in whatever route you select.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I just started feeling this way because i am at home all day and i hate living with him. I want to move out but can't really afford. Right now i'm looking for a job.
About how old are you...if you do not mind answering?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It sounds as though you and your dad are simply at odds and it is time to leave the nest as soon as you find employment and get a roommate to share the expenses. Keep yourself busy in the meantime by volunteering in any area that interests you. You can never change your dad. He must want to change. It sounds as though he is set in his ways. His stubbornness will only continue to cause friction no matter what you say or do. For your own sanity, you have no choice but to move out. If you have a close friend that you can stay with until you get a job, then try that. What about any siblings or other relatives? Would they be willing to take you in temporarily? Exhaust all of your alternatives. You are an adult so take your time and make a wise decision. You may also want to seek career counseling to set you on the right track. Whatever you do, never give up. The power is within you!
Right now may not be the time to try to heal the relationship with your dad. Time and space often heals wounds. Believe in yourself. You seem to have the motivation to succeed!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes i think the best option is to just move out. Luckily last night he said that he doesn't hate me. It's just his character. My childhood wasn't that good that's why i am not that smart.
What a great sign that your dad does not hate you! Leave the past in the past and look forward to the future. You are still so young and have many opportunities awaiting you.

proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 1374
Experience: Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
proexpert37 and other Parenting Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther Woodstock, NY
  • Thank you so much for taking your time and knowledge to support my concerns. Not only did you answer my questions, you even took it a step further with replying with more pertinent information I needed to know. Robin Elkton, Maryland
  • He answered my question promptly and gave me accurate, detailed information. If all of your experts are half as good, you have a great thing going here. Diane Dallas, TX

Meet The Experts:

  • Rafael M.T.Therapist

    Rafael M.T.Therapist

    Family Counselor

    Satisfied Customers:

    MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
< Last | Next >
  • Rafael M.T.Therapist's Avatar

    Rafael M.T.Therapist

    Family Counselor

    Satisfied Customers:

    MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
  • Cher's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Extensive Experience working with Children/Teens; M.A. Teacher/Tutor 40+ yrs.; Parent of 2
  • Jennifer's Avatar


    School Psychologist

    Satisfied Customers:

    Collaborative parent consultation on everything from modifying behavior to child development.
  • professional_Alison's Avatar


    Child Care

    Satisfied Customers:

    Degree in early years,16 years experience in childcare
  • Dr. L's Avatar

    Dr. L


    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed as psychologist and marriage and family therapist
  • Dr. Shirley Schaye's Avatar

    Dr. Shirley Schaye


    Satisfied Customers:

    PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy
  • Eveningstargazer's Avatar


    Family Counselor

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT)

Related Parenting Questions