professional_Alison, Child Care
Experience:  Degree in early years,16 years experience in childcare

I am married and have two little boys, ages 5 and 6. My husband

I am married and have two little boys, ages 5 and 6. My husband takes care of the boys, and I am working. Unfortunately, we disagree what is good and bad for the children. My husband lets them watch television many hours a day so he can cook or surf on the internet. They watch it from 7-8 in the morning before they head out, at noon when they are back, most of the afternoon, and from 6-9 in the evening. In the evening, they watch regular program. My younger one has been crying a lot recently, and I found out that he watched a very violent scene on TV. My husband said he is so sensitive, he has to "toughen him up". Unfortunately, my husband doesn't see a problem, stating they learn a lot on TV, and "other children would even watch more TV". As I am writing this, it is beautiful weather outside, we have a wonderful garden, but both boys sit in front of the TV and eat snacks. When I switch it off, they back yard, but when I turn the TV of they start wailing.

Are you aware of an article, or a website, or anything, that I could give to my husband that details how bad this is? Any idea what I could do? Thank you very much.

professional_Alison :

Hello there, may I help you? You are absolutely correctly that watching too much television is harmful to children. They need to be active, outside getting fresh air and being stimulated. There is nothing wrong with an hours down time at a sutiable point during the day watching television but this is terribly worrying.

professional_Alison :

Here is an article I have found about the psychological damage too much television can do. 

professional_Alison :

professional_Alison :

As for watching inappropriate violent programs this will only cause a sensitve child to be more upset and disturbed by what they have seen. Your husband is not taking his responsibility seriously and is using television to make his life easier and keep the children occupied with no effort on hos part.

professional_Alison :

his* sorry!