proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

My grandson is very attached to my son, who is his main caregiver.

My grandson is very attached to my son, who is his main caregiver. I see my grandson 1-2 times a week and every time when he see's me, he will flop himself on the floor & have a crying tantrum until his Dad or Mom picks him up. After he calms down it takes awhile for him to warm up to me.
Why does he react like this and what can I do to relieve his stress? As a baby, he did not react like this at all & we havn't I had any event happen to make him fearful of me. My grandson will be two years old in August.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for consulting Just Answer. I am sorry to hear about the reactions that your grandson manifests when he sees you. What I ascertain from your description is that your grandson displayed warm and loving characteristics when he was younger but now is expressing tantrums when he sees you. His behavior is within the normal range for a two year old as he is simply experiencing anxiety when he sees you. He may fear that daddy will leave him because the two are so attached. However you are feeling, do not take it personal at all. He will learn to cease his tantrums but he must be taught in a gentle and loving way. Your son must really help with the change in your grandson's behavior so you may want him to read this as well.

Before your grandson comes to your house, your son must prepare him. He must tell him that we are going to Grandma or Grandpa's house and that he needs to act like a big boy with no crying. Your son can even show your grandson how to run up to you and give you a big bear hug because that is what you will like. Also, you may want to have a few new toys that you know your grandson will like so he looks forward to coming over to your house. Also if you act silly and make silly funny noises, those actions will please your grandson as well. It is often a matter of trial and error to see what is appeasing to your grandson. Additionally, you may want your grandson to spend a night or two with you without dad around.

As time passes and your grandson is a little older, his actions should subside. Two year olds are known for tantrums regarding just about anything. Just be patient and continue to be loving to your grandson. This is a stage and will soon pass. :)

Have an awesome Saturday.