How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask proexpert37 Your Own Question

proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 1374
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
proexpert37 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am concerned about my neighbour...she has two sons 2 and

Resolved Question:

I am concerned about my neighbour...she has two sons 2 and 5 years old and a partner. She tells me that her and her partner dont get along, only staying together for the kids sake. they constantly argue, call each other names, there has been domestic violence in the past between them. she is constantly going on about the boys behaviour and when i suggest that some if it may be contributed to their home environment and make some suggestions eg counselling, or another source for her to talk to. she does not appear interested. i am getting sick of her moaning to me. she asks for help but does not do anything to change the situation
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for using Just Answer. I commend you for being so concerned about your neighbor and especially thinking about the emotional well being of the children. The children are very young and therefore very impressionable. With regards XXXXX XXXXX children, if you feel that they have are experiencing emotional abuse, call your local department of child and family services (DCFS) just out of protection for the children. With regards XXXXX XXXXX friend, she must have the strength and courage to make changes...otherwise nothing will be different. Your friend keeps coming to you because she does need help. Maybe suggest that you will go with her to counseling if fear is stopping her. Then once she gets established with an expert counselor, she can seek relationship counseling and/or therapy with her partner. Although you are fed up with your neighbor's rating and raving, you are probably the only individual that she trusts with her problems. Just continue to be as cordial as you can be. When she approaches you again, ask her...How can I help you? What would you like me to do? If she really has no answer, look her dead in the eyes and tell her that you have given her numerous suggestions and she must take action. That is the only viable option in order for things to improve and the children to stop being exposed to such negativity.

Hope this provided insight.
Have a wonderful day!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have suggested that i go with her to counselling but she declines,,i have taken her to a womens centre where she can just pop in if she wants someone to talk relation to the boys and the department of child protection...i have not considered this as at times she is very warm towards them and their dad is a protective factor...he does so much with them...from my views.. i see their relationship and her past as impacting on their parenting of the boys eg..she has had therapy with one of her sons for attachment this went of for over a year..
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 4 years ago.
So what I ascertain from your description is that your friend already knows what she needs to do? Did I get that right? If you were to limit contact with your friend, how would that make you feel? What is your relationship like with your friend? Does she seem to have many other friends? Do you have children of your own around the age of your neighbor's children?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That is what i am considering distancing myself...i feel that i am more concerned about her than she is herself...i suppose i do not have full unerstanding about peoples readiness to address their issues..could you explain this to me maybe
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 4 years ago.
Your neighbor seems to be using you as her sounding board and causing her problems to be your problems as well. Thus, you feel burned out and frustrated from hearing about her constant problems. The only way to allow her to address her own issues is to tell her that you cannot help her solve her problems with her partner. Tell her that you are concerned about her well being and want the best for her in a happy home environment but she must take action. She may just dismiss you and move on to someone else with her problems as that may be her pattern. It is best to just limit contact. A simple Hello or Goodbye in passing should suffice for now. Give her the space that she needs. If you keep talking with her, she will not make any progress. You have already given her the tools. She must use them effectively. It is her choice to change or not. You have done your part as a kind neighbor!
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 1374
Experience: Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
proexpert37 and other Parenting Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther Woodstock, NY
  • Thank you so much for taking your time and knowledge to support my concerns. Not only did you answer my questions, you even took it a step further with replying with more pertinent information I needed to know. Robin Elkton, Maryland
  • He answered my question promptly and gave me accurate, detailed information. If all of your experts are half as good, you have a great thing going here. Diane Dallas, TX

Meet The Experts:

  • Rafael M.T.Therapist

    Rafael M.T.Therapist

    Family Counselor

    Satisfied Customers:

    MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
< Last | Next >
  • Rafael M.T.Therapist's Avatar

    Rafael M.T.Therapist

    Family Counselor

    Satisfied Customers:

    MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
  • Cher's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Extensive Experience working with Children/Teens; M.A. Teacher/Tutor 40+ yrs.; Parent of 2
  • Jennifer's Avatar


    School Psychologist

    Satisfied Customers:

    Collaborative parent consultation on everything from modifying behavior to child development.
  • professional_Alison's Avatar


    Child Care

    Satisfied Customers:

    Degree in early years,16 years experience in childcare
  • Dr. L's Avatar

    Dr. L


    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed as psychologist and marriage and family therapist
  • Dr. Shirley Schaye's Avatar

    Dr. Shirley Schaye


    Satisfied Customers:

    PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy
  • Eveningstargazer's Avatar


    Family Counselor

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT)

Related Parenting Questions