TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker. Certified Coach Mom of Twins.

Customer Question

Is it possible for a healthy grand mother to breast feed the baby when mother is not available for at least 6 months?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Howard Wise replied 3 years ago.
Hi, this is Howard,

Are you producing milk?
Expert:  professional_Alison replied 3 years ago.
Unless you are a grandparent with a baby of your own, you will not be producing any milk, therefore it will not be possible to feed the baby, however I have heard of babies suckling on the grandparents breast if the parent is absent as a form of comfort.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have read studies that you can produce milk with stimulation
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  TherapistJen replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I think the answers given above were correct in that it would be quite unlikely that you can breastfeed your grand-daughter as you dont have any source of milk. If you are thinking as a source of comfort for her that is a personal decision but if you want her to have breast milk then you can look at some of these things below.

There is a wonderful article on wet nurses for you to take a look at.

There are sites as well that highlight the growing trend of milk donation.

Hope this provides some additional help and resources.
Having just done some research of my own I have found out, an adult can induce lactation so they can breast feed for example in the case of an adopted baby. It usually takes a few weeks to have a decent amount of milk, but it does work. I have never heard of this before but the cases i have just read say it does!
There is another resource I want to provide to you.

Good luck and your grand-daughter is lucky to have a caring grandma.