professional_Alison
professional_Alison, Child Care
Experience:  Degree in early years,16 years experience in childcare
65051498

My toddler age 3 keeps getting in my wifes underwear drawer.

My toddler age 3 keeps getting in my wifes underwear drawer. He likes to play with my wifes underwear and bra, he usually hides them. Is this normal
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Bonnie replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for consulting JA,

Toddlers often find certain fabrics soothing (like their blankie) and fabric with mother's scent!!...all the better. He may be stashing them because he knows you will take them away. This is normal. Maybe you can provide him with a similar fabric item that is all his own. Spray it lightly with mother's perfume. Then use this as an opportunity to teach him about respecting mommies things and not taking them without permission.

Warm regards,
Expert:  professional_Alison replied 4 years ago.
Hello there, may I help you?

First of all dont panic this is quite normal, your three year old probably has no idea that knickers and bras are not to be held close to him at all times and are a private item. He is likely to be hiding them as you may be taking them from him.

I am sure its the texture of the item which is what he likes and the association that it is something Mummy wears. Could his Mummy perhaps spare a pair of favorite underwear and cut a square of the material for him to keep? Explain that this is his special silky to keep and that you must not take Mummy's knickers anymore as she needs them. This should solve your problem. Good Luck, if I have helped please click accept.

professional_Alison, Child Care
Experience: Degree in early years,16 years experience in childcare