professional_Alison
professional_Alison, Child Care
Experience:  Degree in early years,16 years experience in childcare
65051498

I am on lone parent(& live in a council house), the father

I am on lone parent(& live in a council house), the father of my kids and I are trying to get back together(after being apart for 4 years). He has his own place to live but recently we have been spending weekends together in my place. I was visited by a County Council housing inspector who intimidated me and told me that I was not allowed to have ANY visitors(male/female)sleeping over even for one night. I am confused because I thought it was only the case if the person is permanently living with you. What are my rights, have I lost all rights because I am a Lone parent who is struggling?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  professional_Alison replied 2 years ago.

professional_Alison :

Hello there, may I help you?

professional_Alison :

Hi having read your information, this housing inspector is talking rubbish, you can still claim benefits as a lone parent if somone stays over one night a week, I know you are in Ireland but in the uk (and I am sure its the same) If you have somone staying with you three nights or more week then they are classed as cohabiting and you would lose your benefits. If push come to shove here and they tell you you are going to lose benefits say it was a one off or dont tell them. It sounds madness that you cant have somone to stay even for a night, I honestly dont believe that and think she may have been strying to scare you into admitting you had somone there more than that. Stay srtong here and stand your ground, you are not abusing the system and only claiming what you are entitled to so dont back down here, flight for what you are entitled to.

professional_Alison :

Please message me if I can help more, please accept if you are happy with my answer.

professional_Alison :

Hi also forgot to say the person staying is not allowed to be seen to be moving there belonging into you home.

professional_Alison, Child Care
Experience: Degree in early years,16 years experience in childcare