KansasTherapist
KansasTherapist, LSCSW
Experience:  17 years experience with depression, abuse, and borderline.
65252638

I am a mother of a ten years boy. he was lately diagnosed with

I am a mother of a ten years boy. he was lately diagnosed with adhd ...this is affecting his academic performance. Now he is taking strattera
40mg..
I wanted to ask which learning system (british or american) will be suitable for him.
thanks for your concern..
Category: Parenting
Expert:  KansasTherapist replied 2 years ago.

KansasTherapist :

hello

Customer:

hello ,dear

KansasTherapist :

Can you tell me what you see as the differences in the two systems?

Customer:

I know that british system is more difficult and needs more concentration,but it is a strong learning system,while the american depends on the projects and through research

KansasTherapist :

It depends a little bit on how well he responds to the medication.

KansasTherapist :

Kids with ADHD, generally need a balance of structure and flexibility.

Customer:

before the meication his score was 67% after a moth and a half he reached 78% with the help of the medication and private lessons at home plus mine as a parent

KansasTherapist :

I would say then, that there might be too much concentration required in the British system.

KansasTherapist :

He will probably still find if difficult to sit and focus for longer periods. He would need some breaks and be able to move around to keep him from feeling restless.

Customer:

he keeps moving all the time,loses interest and gets bored quickly,changes from one thing to another without completing what he

Customer:

started

KansasTherapist :

Even on the meds?

Customer:

at the beginning he stated withthe 25 mg then the doctor upgraded to 40mg ,he is playing water polo at the club .He is very intelligent but this intelligence is useless in his studyig..the private teachers say that he is a genious boy

KansasTherapist :

Can he sit still for a while now?

Customer:

yes,for a short while,if he is watching T.V or eating his meals. He sits to study or do is H.W obligatory

KansasTherapist :

Then I definitely don't think the British system would suit him.

KansasTherapist :

The American system would make better use of his creative thinking.

Customer:

the doctor said to put him in the british because it he will be okay after medication(2 years) starting jan 2012 ,I am worried that it will be against his abilities to sit and concentrate

KansasTherapist :

I agree with you.

Customer:

so you prefer the american ....

KansasTherapist :

Hopefully your son will have better concentration a year from now than he does today, but I don't think he will ever be able to just sit and study for long periods.

Customer:

you are right

KansasTherapist :

I think he will be frustrated and unhappy in the British system.

Customer:

the studying process is like a battle,I keep making him do his H.w and sometimes we hit him punish him othertimes I encourage him and give him prizes but now way he keep acting tn the same way

KansasTherapist :

I suggest you schedule breaks in his studying, based on 15 to 20 minutes segments, if he can do that. If that's too long shorten it to 10 minutes.

Customer:

I think this is a good idea

KansasTherapist :

During the break, let him do something active if he likes for a minute or two if he works 10 minutes. If he works up to 20 minutes he can have a 5 minute break.

Customer:

okay..

KansasTherapist :

Keep encouraging him when he does well.

KansasTherapist :

I don't know how much work he has to do but I doubt he could go over an hour.

KansasTherapist :

If he isn't done after an hour, I would give him a long break, say until after dinner, and start again.

Customer:

the problem is that the teachers don't understand his case,they see that he is a careless student. Do I have to tell the school and the teachers about his case?

KansasTherapist :

I would suggest you do that. If they know what to do to help him, they will be less frustrated too.

KansasTherapist :

Do your school have any special education services?

Customer:

when I apply to a new school do I have to tell them,in order to explain his low grades?

KansasTherapist :

I would do that. Let them know his history and what helps him do better. By January, you should have a better idea what works with him.

KansasTherapist :

Do your schools have special education services

Customer:

I didn't choose a certain school till now.But in same time ,my son is an ordinary boy except in the learning process ,his hyperactivity

Customer:

makes people say that he is a naughty boy

KansasTherapist :

Special education here helps kids to who have ADHD and also who are very intelligent.

KansasTherapist :

I don't know how much your school would do to accommodate him.

Customer:

I am from Egypt...We live in Cairo..I don't think that many schools will understand and accommodate with such cases

KansasTherapist :

That means that you will need to do what you can to advocate for him with the school and help him at home.

Customer:

I will do my best,but what else will you suggest ,pls be infirmed that he began the medication on jan 2012

KansasTherapist :

When did the doctor raise the dose?

Customer:

at the beginning of march after I told her that he was still hyperactive ,we went a trip to luxor and aswan in the midyear vacation

Customer:

all the trp days we had to keep watching out what dangerous things he kept doing during the trip ..getting on the mountains and over the roof of tha boat and running from one place to another

KansasTherapist :

Your son can learn organization skills to help him get things done and not lose things. I'm guessing he can't keep track of his stuff.

KansasTherapist :

You can help by writing him reminder notes, so he brings home the books he needs and has a pencil.

Customer:

you are right,how can I do this?

KansasTherapist :

He should have places to keep his school things at home so he doesn't lose them.

Customer:

he forgets his things,always his day to day is incomplete,stays restless in the class ,keeps asking to go out of the class

KansasTherapist :

In his school bag he can have pockets with labels to put things in so if a space is empty he can see what's missing.

KansasTherapist :

See if the teacher will let him leave class for a few minutes when he asks.

Customer:

I made him a special study room,to keep his school things organized,he takes the lessons in it. I ask him not to take the books out of it unless he wants to show me sth or needs me to explain anything to him

KansasTherapist :

Is he doing that?

Customer:

so far, his thigs are in one place, and I organize it from one time to another

KansasTherapist :

Great!

KansasTherapist :

The more you can get him organized the better.

Customer:

thank you for your support

KansasTherapist :

You're very welcome.

KansasTherapist :

Please click Accept so that JustAnswer will pay me.

KansasTherapist, LSCSW
Experience: 17 years experience with depression, abuse, and borderline.