professional_Alison
professional_Alison, Child Care
Experience:  Degree in early years,16 years experience in childcare

Hi , I put my child in a daycare when she was 8 months old

Hi , I put my child in a daycare when she was 8 months old for 2 days a week but took her out after 2 months as she was getting sick all the time. I am trying to postpone putting her to daycare again until having a better immune system.However I am not sure what is the best age of starting day care ?(she is 13 months old now)or would it be better if I find a babysitter taking care of her or she would need be in contact with other children ?Thank you.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  professional_Alison replied 2 years ago.

professional_Alison :

Hello there, may I help you?

Customer:

Hi

Customer:

Sure

professional_Alison :

Unfortunately children do pick up a lot of bugs when they first go into daycare, but it does help them to build up an immunity. Even if you put her in at a later date she will still pick up bugs.

Customer:

Is there any recommended age for starting the day care?

professional_Alison :

Another option is to consider a nanny or a childminder where they either work on a one to one in your home or your daughter goes into a childminders home with only a few children.

professional_Alison :

There is no recommended age for daycare but she will have a better chance of flighting infection and be stronger from about 18 months onwards.

Customer:

with the baby sitter I was just not sure that does she need to be in contact in other children for communication or not

professional_Alison :

When you have a large number of children in a building the germs do tend to fly around and it is very hard to protect them from picking up bugs.

Customer:

that's true

professional_Alison :

A nanny or child minder should take her out to toddler groups and library etc to allow her to socialise if she is with a child minder she will have other children in her home

professional_Alison :

its very important for her to socialise with other children but just not i

professional_Alison :

perhaps in the large numbers there are in day care

Customer:

that sounds good

Customer:

the child minder is the same as family day care or is it different?I have never heard of it

professional_Alison :

she is still quite young, I would reccommend waiting maybe 6 months or if you can find a good nanny or childminder you are happy with then thats great for her to be well cared for and stimulated with other children without getting ill.

professional_Alison :

A child minder cares for children in there home

professional_Alison :

I think a nanny is probable the best idea as your daughter is cared for in her own home, can be taken out to groups to socialise, can have play dates etc.

professional_Alison :

At least you can then monitor her socialising and also how often she gets ill.

Customer:

Thanks a lot for the advice and for your time:)

Customer:

yes, that's right

professional_Alison :

No worries, glad to help! Please click accept if your happy with my answer, if you think of anything else just PM me. Many thanks

Customer:

sure, thanks:)

professional_Alison :

Your very welcome.

professional_Alison, Child Care
Experience: Degree in early years,16 years experience in childcare