proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

ra - es

Customer Question

I have a 15 year old who I think is spending too much of time on video games that are violent - 25 hours a week. I took the games from him away for about 5 weeks. Since then his behavior is appalling. He seems to terrorize the family on the weekends. He is an exceptionally intelligent child and he is very good at sports. I took him to a counsellor yesterday and he suggested that I should give him back the games as there is not enough evidence to support the fact that video games that are violent leads to aggressive behavior. He also advised me that since he is going his household duties he should be treated to some extend as a teenager who is becoming an adult soon. So we are in the process of negotiating how much of time is ok without him becoming glued to the tv. My question is, that somehow does not sit well with me. Please advise me.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for consulting Just Answer. I am sorry to hear about the video game problem with your son. It is true that playing violent video games can cause teens to be more moody as stated in recent studies. However if your son has finished all of his homework during the school week and is academically performing up to your expectations as well as completing chores, then no more than 1-2 hours of video games per day would be sufficient. However, lean toward the 1 hour mark. On the weekends, he may want to play more. But look at it this way...he could be out roaming the streets instead of playing video games. At least you know where he is.

Nonetheless, keep the counseling sessions going. He needs to learn proper behavior management techniques. Do not give him too much freedom just because he will soon be an adult. He must learn to take responsibility for his actions. He cannot terrorize the family. There may be other issues going on in his life that the counselor can attend to...peer pressure, girls, academic pressure, sports performance pressure, etc. Being a teenager is difficult. Encourage him as much as you can when appropriate but set rules and enforce consequences.

Hope this provided you with some insight. Have a great day!