Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

I am 39 years old. I am due to have my first child July 24th.

I am 39 years old. I am due to have my first child July 24th. I have been accepted to nursing school starting August 20th (it is a two year BSN program). I have childcare (day care at 6 weeks & nannies who will take care of a newborn) secured and live with the father who works full time m-f but will help with childcare. I currently work full time as a medical microbiologist. If I go back to school, I will go to school monday thru friday and work 8 to ten hour day shifts every weekend. I have to turn in my intetion letter to nursing school by tommorow. I can either start August 20th or Defer for a year. I don't like my current job because my coworkers are not supportive of me. I do not want to defer a year. I want to say yes to starting in august. I know it will be extremely challenging, and if there are complications with the babies or my health, I will need to tell nursing school no in august and have to reapply and wait possibly another 2 years to get into school. I am going to say yes to starting nursing school August 20, 1 mo (hopefully) after my first baby is born. Do you think I am making the right decision?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 4 years ago.
Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective

Dear friend,

It seems that your choice is clear and that you have nearly made your mind up already.

You will have little time to recuperate from the birthing, and will have some separation anxiety when you first start, but you seem strong and determined. It is important that the newborn nannies be there from the beginning so that you can observe them, and your baby can get used to them from the start.

If you don't start school, you will keep your old job, where you will be unhappy, and stuck there for an extra year. I'm sure you will regret it if you don't start nursing school THIS August, and have to wait a whole year. I also think that your baby will adjust better starting now than when s(he) is one year old..

I think you are definitely making the right decision, not only for yourself, but for your baby in terms of his/her psychosocial development.

You are also making a great career choice. I have great admiration for RNs and understand what it takes to become one and then to work as one.

I wish youy great success in your career, and hope that you can start as soon as possible.

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC