Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.

This is a nutrition question. I have a severely mentally

This is a nutrition question.

I have a severely mentally handicapped young adult son who loves to drink coke. It is one of his few pleasures and I don't want to deprive him of it.
However, his teeth are decaying at a rapid rate and, because of his limitations, it is very hard to manage his dental hygiene.
(The dentist has recommended brushing and flossing 3 times a day. This would be impossible to implement. His care givers have some success with getting him to brush on a daily basis, but he has sent care givers to the emergency room when they attempt to get him to do something he doesn't want to do.)
So my question is - are diet drinks like Diet Coke sugar free? If not, is/are there sugar free drinks with caffeine? Not including coffee? Any ideas?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Bonnie replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for consulting JA,

As a person who requires caffeine and sugar-free and as a nurse, I feel I can answer your question. Yes, diet colas (all of them) are sugar free and the sugar substitute is not as harmful to the teeth. So you should be able to change to diet coke with no problem. I would also recommend seeing if he likes diet root beer (it does not have caffeine though) as it is very flavorful as well.

I hope this answers your question