How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Bonnie Your Own Question

Bonnie, Psychologist
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 2189
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
Bonnie is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This is a nutrition question. I have a severely mentally

Resolved Question:

This is a nutrition question.

I have a severely mentally handicapped young adult son who loves to drink coke. It is one of his few pleasures and I don't want to deprive him of it.
However, his teeth are decaying at a rapid rate and, because of his limitations, it is very hard to manage his dental hygiene.
(The dentist has recommended brushing and flossing 3 times a day. This would be impossible to implement. His care givers have some success with getting him to brush on a daily basis, but he has sent care givers to the emergency room when they attempt to get him to do something he doesn't want to do.)
So my question is - are diet drinks like Diet Coke sugar free? If not, is/are there sugar free drinks with caffeine? Not including coffee? Any ideas?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Bonnie replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for consulting JA,

As a person who requires caffeine and sugar-free and as a nurse, I feel I can answer your question. Yes, diet colas (all of them) are sugar free and the sugar substitute is not as harmful to the teeth. So you should be able to change to diet coke with no problem. I would also recommend seeing if he likes diet root beer (it does not have caffeine though) as it is very flavorful as well.

I hope this answers your question
Bonnie and other Parenting Specialists are ready to help you