proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

Actually I am the grandmother. My son called me the other

Actually I am the grandmother. My son called me the other day to tell me that his wife was very upset and crying because she felt like their nine month old son favored his father (my son). Evidently he responds more to my son than to his mother. I didn't know what to say to my daughter-in-law except to say that babies go through phases and that I am sure that he will change at some point. What are your thoughts about this?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for consulting Just Answer. Your daughter in law's feelings are completely normal especially if she most likely spends more time caring for the son. Reassure your daughter in law that her son could not possibly be purposely choosing dad over her. It is a normal stage that will come and go. Make sure that your daughter in law and son spend quality time together with their son and not individually all of the time. If this is your daughter in law's first child, she is also probably feeling the stress of taking care of the infant and is feeling like she is being rejected by her own son. Tell your daughter in law to continue to provide all the love, hugs, and kisses to her son and he and she will be fine. :)

Have a great weekend!