proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
49595756

My 21 year old daughter is so lazy, she lies, and doesnt care

My 21 year old daughter is so lazy, she lies, and doesn't care about anything. When she gets fired she doesn't even care. When we tell her to clean her room, she just throws her things away instead of putting them away properly. She is constantly texting boys that are out of state and makes friends on a make believe internet game. She is content just sitting in her room all day long
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for consulting Just Answer. I am sorry to hear about the situation with your daughter. Could you provide me with a little background information so that I may better assist you?

*Has your daughter always had such a nonchalant attitude?
*Does she have much of a social life beyond the computer and cell phone?
*How is her self esteem...any weight issues?
*Does she have a boyfriend?

Thank you in advance for your responses!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, always, not much of a social life, but was involved in high school choir and on swim team. Yes has a weight problem, and was adopted at age 2.5 by us. Never had a boyfriend
It seems like your daughter has isolated herself from the outside world probably as a result of her weight. She most likely has low self esteem and little self worth. She needs to develop greater self confidence so she can feel better about herself, want to maintain a job, and interact more appropriately with others. When she texts other males, they make her feel worthy but she is hiding behind the veil of the cell phone.

Your daughter may be depressed as a result of her weight as well. Staying in her room all day is not healthy. I would suggest that you seek professional counseling for her. Also with regards XXXXX XXXXX weight issue, try Weight Watchers meetings...not the online program. There is the possibility of great success when utilizing this program.

Once your daughter develops ways to enhance her self esteem with outside professional assistance and additionally begins to lose the weight, she will feel so much more positive about life. Right now, she does not feel like she has much of a purpose. You need to encourage her as well though.

However if the weight problem is more of an anorexia nervosa or bulimia issue, counseling can still help.

Hopefully, I have provided some insight. If you need further assistance, please let me know! Have a great weekend!