MaryA.
MaryA., Teacher, Parent
Experience:  10+ years as a teacher, mother to a teen and 8 year old
9981143

How do you know if your parenting is bad or good?

Customer Question

Category: Parenting
Expert:  MaryA. replied 2 years ago.

MaryA. :

There is no right or wrong way to parent. I would love to answer your question fully, but I need more information. How old are your children? What have you tried? Do you have doubts about your or another person's parenting?

JACUSTOMER-yzmrovec- :

my son is 8 months old and he doesnt seem to want me he always wants his grandma

JACUSTOMER-yzmrovec- :

I've tryed spending lots of time with him just me and him its just nothing i do he wants me

MaryA. :

This depends on your situation. Does he spend more time with his grandmother? Babies this age tend to become very attached to their caregivers. They may also show signs of separation anxiety when taken away from any one of their caregivers. It is very normal for a child this age to want to spend more time with one adult vs. the other.

JACUSTOMER-yzmrovec- :

yeah well he does spend a lot of time with her its just feels like im missing him growing up i dont get to see him alot

MaryA. :

There could also be something grandmother is doing that is not happening with you that is causing him to want her more. For example, carrying him ALL the time, or not letting him cry when he needs to.

JACUSTOMER-yzmrovec- :

well that makes more sense everytime he crys she picks him up

JACUSTOMER-yzmrovec- :

its just seems like im not getting that mother instinct because im too young or something

JACUSTOMER-yzmrovec- :

be right back

MaryA. :

Crying is a normal part of a baby's development. While he does need to know that adults are there for him when he needs them, it is also alright for him to cry sometimes and know that he needs to be patient for other things. For example, when he needs a bottle, it is alright for him to cry for a minute or two while you or grandma get the bottle ready. Again, if he is spending more time with grandma, then it is normal for him to want to be with her. I suggest instead of worrying about what you are missing, make the most of your time with him. For example, go on walks with him to the park, take him to a children's music class or mommy and me class where you can spend time with him. That should help you feel better and also help you bond with him. If you like my answer please accept it. Thanks! and I hope everything works out.