proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
49595756

i have a 5yr old boy and getting him to do homework is a nightmare

i have a 5yr old boy and getting him to do homework is a nightmare im a single parent working full time and my own mother always says i have to have more patience. The problem is i know he knows how to do it he just refuses to do that or anything else i say when i ask him. The only time he does as i ask is when i'm shouting at him and i feel i cant cope anymore.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for consulting Just Answer. I am glad to have the opportunity to assist you. I am sorry to hear about the homework problems that you are having with your son. It is only natural that a five year old boy would rather do anything else besides homework. Actually, many boys even up into the teen age years despise homework. However, homework is part of the educational process and has many benefits which your son of course does not yet realize.

Nonetheless, here are some suggestions to alleviate the homework battle. Set aside a special homework area with a cool and interesting light, special pencils, paper, and crayons just for homework. You may even want to buy a place mat with his favorite characters that he can use on the working surface. If finances allow it, even buy a cheap little desk that your son likes. Little Tikes brand has a lot of neat furniture.

Then, explain to your son that it is distraction free homework time. Set a timer for 10-15 minutes to start. He must sit and complete his homework during that time. After the timer goes off, he has 5 minutes of free time. Then it is back to more homework for 15-20 minutes until the timer goes off. If your son can sit through the timed homework cycles appropriately, he receives a sticker for the day or for each time period. After a certain amount of stickers, 10-20 ...you decide the amount, he receives a special treat or a special outing. He needs to be rewarded now for doing his homework. Yelling and screaming is only upsetting you. The goal is to pay more attention to his good behavior and reward him so that he wants that special treat. The key is to be patient and consistent. It will not happen overnight but it will happen.

When using a sticker reward system, REALLY praise your son when he is doing well. He will crave the attention. When he does not comply, take his video games away. He has to earn them back by doing his homework.

Place the sticker chart where it can be seen all the time. Use stickers of characters that your son really
likes. Try this for a few weeks. If it does not work, please let me know and we can look into other alternative methods of behavior modification.

Thank you and have a great day!
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience: Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor