KansasTherapist, LSCSW
Experience:  17 years experience with depression, abuse, and borderline.

Is it normal? Ten month old baby who can ocassionally play

Is it normal? Ten month old baby who can ocassionally play & act normal, but most of the time is expressionless and acts like he is just zoned out. You can call his name and wave your hand in front of him and he just stares ahead. He will sometimes act so full of energy & bounce high in the bouncer, then he is done and just lays or sits very lathargic. Will pull up and walk around things but then just zones out so much of the time.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  KansasTherapist replied 4 years ago.

KansasTherapist : Hello, it does sound a bit unusual to me. The first thing that came to my mind is hearing problems. Does he coo and babble? When he's not zoned out does he make eye contact. Does he express desire for thing he want someone to get for him?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It doesn't seem to me like he has hearing problems. When you make noise he notices. He does coo and babble. No he really doesn't try to make eye contact, you can make it with him but hes really not interested. Lastly he will fuss and you can tell he wants something but you have to offer him something (i.e. food, toys, a drink) before he is satisfied. I failed to mention he is constantly sucking on his botXXXXX XXXXXp.

I'm very concerned that he doesn't make eye contact and isn't interested in you when you make contact with him. A baby his age should be using eye contact to make sure he is getting your attention and help him organize his thinking. He needs to have a developmental evaluation soon. In your area there should be an agency that provides those evaluations to children who are potentially developmentally delayed.