KaterB1270
KaterB1270, Teacher
Experience:  BS Family Consumer Sciences Ed. and Masters of Art in Teaching
63942956

how do you tell a 3 year old his cat has died

Customer Question

Category: Parenting
Expert:  KaterB1270 replied 5 years ago.

It is best to be honest with your child and tell them their cat has passed away. You should explain the life cycle as best as your child can understand. I suggest also look at a book called "Cat Heavan" by Cynthia Rylant. I found it on Amazon.com for about $12.00. By sharing the book your child will feel more comfortable about the change that they are likely to notice. Be sure to answer you childs question as best as you can. Continue to discuss with your child as much as he or she wants. I would suggest not going out and getting a new cat for a while. There is no exact time that it is OK to get a new pet but be sure to allow your child and yourself to greive.

I hope this informaton is helpful to you. If I can be of any more assistance please contact me anytime.

Kate B

PS -Please press accept as this is the only way I am compensated for my time and talents.

Please press the accept button as this is how I am paid for my time and expertise.

If I can be of any other help please do not hesitate to ask.

KateB