proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor

Mom needs help

I have a 7 year who is having behavior issues at school. Well I am contacting for myself I am frustrated, mad, depressed, and I feel like I am losing control of me. I need a counselor to talk to, to yell at, to cry to. I am a single mom and I am so unhappy right now. I love my child but I dont feel like I am helping him. I need help on dealing with my feelings. Is there someone that wont cost me an arm and a leg in the OKC area?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for consulting Just Answer. I am sorry to hear about the frustrations that you are having with your son. I completely know what you are going through. I went through the same feelings when my son was in the second grade however he was not diagnosed with ADD at first. I hated picking him up from school because every day I would receive bad news. His behavior was out of control. He could not focus. He was on medication. I was depressed about the situation. What you are feeling is completely normal. You are not alone. I would advise you to continue counseling for him at school and outside of school with a referral from your son's pediatrician. You can also ask the psychologist at your son's school for a referral to outside of school counseling services. Also, it is a maturity issue. As your son gets older and learns how to focus and manage his emotions, he should not have so many behavior problems and academic issues. He will not be perfect but he should improve. It takes a great deal of constant communication and feedback between you and your son's teachers to help your son stay on track. Also, it REALLY helps if you try as difficult as it may be, to focus on the positive things that your son does so that he will feel valued and encouraged. I have more....
Also, I would highly recommend a has a plethora of information about ADD in children, resources for parents, support groups, etc. You will be overwhelmed with the information but after reading many posts from other parents, you will begin to see your son in a different light. It is normal that we want our children to be perfect. When they have problems, it is hard because we feel like we could have done something different to help them. I am a mom and a teacher and I feel like that often. Please feel free to let me know you feel. I have been going on the ADD for 4 years now. It will get better. Be patient. Stay concerned. Be proactive. Nobody will fight for your son more than you will. He is still so young. He will mature. He will change. It will take a lot of effort but you can do it!