proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
49595756

we recently found marjuana on our 14 year old son. he says

we recently found marjuana on our 14 year old son. he says that is the only drug he has used. he has not been sleeping up all night he is refusing to go to school we would like to take him to doctor immediately but he is refusing to go. the only way to get him there is to physically drag him there,my husband nor i have ever been physical with our children.how can we handle this i beleive he is suffering from depression as this runs in the family
Category: Parenting
Expert:  proexpert37 replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for consulting Just Answer. I am sorry to hear about the problems with your son. Would you be taking your son to the doctor because of your finding the drugs or because of suspected depression? Have you talked to your son about either issue? If so, what was his response? Thank you in advance for your response.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
  1. we have talked to him about both he tells us he is not depressed but shows all the symptoms, not sleeping,not eating, skipping school,withdrawn.as far as the drugs when we originally found out about 6weeks ago we asked him whyhe was taking the drugs he said he didnt know but says all his friends are,and we talked to him about the effects of the drugs getting him to talk about anything is very hard.

Hello and thank you for responding. It would not be a wise idea to use physical force to get your son to go to the doctor. He probably feels a great deal of anxiety of what the doctor may say about his condition, actions, and feelings. He probably fears being labeled as having something being wrong with him. He needs to gain your trust that you are there to help him with whatever is going on in his life. Tell him that you have noticed a
Changes in his behavior and you really think that he is depressed. The following is a list of common teen age depression signs. Use the list to guide your discussion.

Irritability, anger, or hostility
Tearfulness or frequent crying
Withdrawal from friends and family
Loss of interest in activities
Changes in eating and sleeping habits
Restlessness and agitation
Feelings of worthlessness and guilt
Lack of enthusiasm and motivation
Fatigue or lack of energy
Difficulty concentrating
Thoughts of death or suicide
Sadness or hopelessness

Then tell your son that you would like him to be evaluated just to make sure that he is fine. If nothing is wrong, then he should have nothing to fear. If he still refuses to go to the doctor, call his school and see if the school psychologist can come talk to your son or if the school can refer you to a social worker who can come to the house to counsel your son. Additionally, you can call your son's pediatrician to let them know what is going on. Also if your son displays any suicidal signs, please call your local suicide hotline immediately. You cannot do this alone.

Hope this provided you with a sense of direction.

Have a blessed day!
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience: Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor