JaRee1993
JaRee1993, Family Counselor
Experience:  Licensed to do family counseling including parenting skills
11914957

Back in January of this year I took my4 yr old son to the cemetary

Customer Question

Back in January of this year I took my4 yr old son to the cemetary to place flowers at my niece's grave. I didn't say where we were going but when we got there he began to ask questions. I kept it as brief and simple as possible when I answered him. He asked why people put flowers there and I said they do it becuase they miss the person. The next time I took him to preschool he was in a panic. He didn't want me to leave and each time he cried hysterically from the second he woke up asking to stay home and saying "promise you will come back" "promise you will always take care of me." The teacher says that he spends the entire time at school asking if I will come back. This has been going on for 4 weeks.After 3 weeks he had made himself so sick he became consitpated and we went to the Dr. Fixed that but now he spends the time at school asking to constantly go to the bathroom, asking if I will make it back, and he refuses to participate, play or even eat his snack. His stomach is sick when he is not with me and the teacher says he becomes even more nervous and anxious duriing story time which is at the end of school. I asked him why is this and he said he worries about me driving to get him. It's not just school. I left him in the car with my husband and his brother for 5 min while I went into the store and when I came out he was hysterial saying "I thought something happen to you!" He has done this a couple other times if I run into places without him. He also has developed an almost obsession with making sure that everyone that leaves he kissses and says good-bye I love you up until the second they close the door. He doesn't have the separation anxiety from them like with me but he does want to be sure he says good-bye and hugs and kisses them. I understand this is normal but at this age he understands the finality of death and that it means not coming back. I need to figure out how to assure him I'm coming back without lieing to him saying I will never die. Is there any books? All I can find is talking to kids about death but I don't need that I need to know how to help him understand I am not going to die if I leave his sight.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  JaRee1993 replied 2 years ago.

JaRee1993 :

Hi, thank you for contacting Just Answer. My name is Ja`Ree and I am a mental health counselor. Can you tell me if he is having nightmares?

Customer:

After we went to the cemetary, that night he got sick and had to miss two days of school, I took him back to school finally and the teacher called me to come get him he said he was still sick. That night he started having night terrors (he had them when he was younger and got over them) he had what seemed to be the same nightmare for a week straight. He jumped up saying I need you I need you and was trying to get away. If anyone but myself held or talked to him he became even more hysterical. Every night for a week this went on. The separation anxiety increased after that as well.

JaRee1993 :

I am looking for a book that might help, however, it sounds to me as though you may need to find him a child counselor who can actually assist him with working through these fears. It is so sad to watch a little one struggle with such feelings and sometimes it takes a professional who has the skills and training to be able to help them through it. Would you maybe consider taking him to talk with someone?

Customer:

yes I would because he is not wanting to interact with his friends at school and he is making himself sick physically over this. His fear is that if I am out of his sight I will be in an accident and will die. He even begins to worry more when he knows school is almost out because he knows I will be driving to get him and he worries. He use to rush us out the door to school because he loved it so much now he hides so he doesn't have to go.

JaRee1993 :

I will be right back with you I am still looking for some books. I also want to recommend that you talk with your family doctor about a referral for a good child psychologist or counselor, You can also call your local mental health board and ask for a recommendation. Please explain that you need to get him in to see someone as soon as possible. Fear is a horrible feeling especially for a small child. Hang on for just a minute please while I see what books I can recommend.

Customer:

Ok great thank you. I have a call into his Dr. just waiting to hear back.

JaRee1993 :

I am told that The Berenstain have excelent books to help children with many issues including fear. They have one book called Berenstain Bears / Fear. I have not read the books but my sister who is a first and second grade teacher recommends them completely. You can find the series on Amazon.com. I hope this information assists you with getting him the help he needs and assists you and your husband with being able to help him begin to not fear your dying so much. It may take some work and time for you to be able to reassure him. It sounds as though the trip to the cementary may have caused PTSD to set in for him, however, with the right help you will be able to help him work through this. Can I assist you any further with this issue?

Customer:

Thank you I will look into those books right now! I appreciate your time and I will follow up with his Dr. Thank you again.

JaRee1993, Family Counselor
Experience: Licensed to do family counseling including parenting skills