Coach Jen K.
Coach Jen K., LMSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Master Social Worker. Certified Coach Mom of Twins.

hi this is michelle want to get some help with how to get son

Customer Question

hi this is michelle want to get some help with how to get son more focus
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.

It was brought to our attention that you asked a legal question about a country that we do not have active Experts in. As much as we would like to assist you, we have to be honest and say that the best we can do is provide a legal Internet researcher who might be able to find your answer. We realize that option is not ideal, and we always want to provide our customers with the best possible answer.

At this time, we'd like to give you the option of leaving your question open. Keep in mind that you're never obligated to accept an answer that you're not satisfied with, and you can try it out before you accept. Or, we can close your question page for you, if you prefer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hi my question was just how to get a child focus is there any help on that to me i find that he is not at all focus in school and for that his grades are dropping can i get some help on that please. thank you
Expert:  Coach Jen K. replied 2 years ago.
If you have the ability to take him to a mental health professional to make sure he isn't having any learning disabilities, then i would recommend that. I don't know how old your Son is to say whether it is normal development for him to have some difficulty focusing. So, at this time i would see if you can have him evaluated to make sure there isn't anything going on such as attention deficit disorder that could make it difficult to focus.
Coach Jen K., LMSW, CPC
Experience: Licensed Master Social Worker. Certified Coach Mom of Twins.
Expert:  green-owl replied 2 years ago.
Bonjour Michelle.

There is many factors that could cause focus problems. Does he have problem in all courses equally or does some seem unaffected by his condition?
Was he more focused at one point? Anything changed in his habit?
Does he practice sports outside school?
How old is he?
I won't ask you to rate is intelligence, but can you tell me if he can do a lot more than he do right now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hi martin goodnight
i think i would more like what your saying. from since my son Karim began school everything was good and now all his teachers are now saying that he can do better and we all no that he can give more than what he gives. He is 11 years old, and yes he plays football
Expert:  Patience replied 2 years ago.

Hi- Thanks for your question. I'd like to give a more complete response than you have received so far.

When a child is having trouble staying on task at school there are a number of possible reasons why this could be happening. Some children may have medical problems such as ADHD, while others may have some form of anxiety. Others may be bored with current schoolwork and are in need of more of a challenge. The best way to learn how to improve a child’s focus at school is to get to the root of the problem.

Have your child assessed by a professional. Take him to his pediatrician for a checkup. Have there been major changes in your household recently? Often there are psychological or emotional stressors when a child has an inability to focus. You can try talking to your child about what is going on with him. If that does not work, getting child or family counseling can reduce stress and help your child to focus better. A professional counselor can also help rule out substance abuse, depression, clinical anxiety or other factors that may be affecting your child’s school performance and outlook.

As a parent, you really need to have a good understanding of your child’s capabilities. Your child may need something more from his school experience. He may be lacking in the academic skills or abilities needed to succeed at his grade level or he may need to have access to more advanced work. The teacher and the school need to work at getting your son assessed and assisted with his learning needs. Talk to your child’s teachers about the areas where he is having problems.

There are things you can do on your own at home. Kids need structure and supervision, and they need somebody looking in on them who will hold them accountable. Put effort into helping your child manage his homework, even if he seems resistant to your help. Do not assume he understands everything on his own, check in to see how things are going. To help your son, break down tasks, encouraging him to work on and f finish one step at a time. This will reduce your anxiety and his.

Remember, to maintain their motivation, everyone needs to be rewarded now and then. Use praise and positivity to keep your son excited and interested. Children learn better when they get positive responses to their learning efforts.

You might want to consider a reward chart. Ask your child to think of things they would like to do with you, and then make that a monthly goal. For each homework assignment completed, your child could get a sticker or star that can be added up to get a treat: a new book, a trip to the park or museum, a bike ride or a family movie night.

Find the strengths in your child, and work to support and encourage them.
With time and assistance, your child should be able to get back on track and in all likelihood he will bounce back at school.

I am happy to supply clarification if needed. Please click the green ACCEPT button so that I can receive credit for my work. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!

Expert:  green-owl replied 2 years ago.
"all his teachers are now saying that he can do better and we all no that he can give more than what he gives"

That is good. One of the possibility is that he may have figured out the system (like i did when i was a kid). At one point i found thing not going fast enough to retain my attentions. The interest in that case can't compensate the effort still needed to follow the teacher and the mind decide to just wander. The way school are based right now, with lowest common denominator teaching, the only way to solve the problem is to have children affected like that to tutor other slower kids in the class, in other way have the teacher use them to keep their mind from wandering.

At 11 you might also suspect that the "girl" factor may start to kick in.

It's good to do sport. It help with the oxygenation of the brain (especially after eating when digestion make some sleepy). But having only one sport may give it artificial value (it become like a tribe). If he speak alway and exclusively about his soccer it may start to enter that territory. A trick to circumvent this is to get him in 2 different sports so that no polarization happen between academic and sport. Perhaps a martial art or archery would so.

And lastly, as a general rule to be able to keep up without much focus is to prepare. Just reading in advance the courses in advance the day before help a lot. It allow to prepare questions, it remove stress, i prevent having to take notes and missing most of what the teacher show and the opportunity of interacting with him/her.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hi Patience am going to thanks a lot of what you say is so true some of what your saying are some of what we does at home. is like he makes sure that he do things to make me get vex, it worked for a while and change some things to see what i get so again thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
martin at this point we are going to take him to see if he would like to play vollyball and i will just keep pressing to what i get thankyou
Expert:  KansasTherapist replied 2 years ago.
Has your question been answered to your satisfaction. If not, let me know and we can work on more areas that might be helpful..