KaterB1270, Teacher
Experience:  BS Family Consumer Sciences Ed. and Masters of Art in Teaching

ra - vl

Customer Question

My daughter, that just turned 18 in 2/18/12, insists on getting married to her on/off again boyfriend of 3 years. The problem is, that she is a junior in high school, and he has been out of school for 2 years, and has no job. She also has no job, and HE is in remedial classes. Her dad I, along with the rest of her famly,think that she should wait until she graduates in 6/13. She will not listen. What should we do. The boys' parents, the father is from LAOS, this seems to be an issue too. The boys' parents are both slow and are pushing, and don't back off.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  KaterB1270 replied 4 years ago.
This is a very tough situation for you and your family. I can only imagine the amount of stress this is causing you. At this time I would suggest getting other people involved in the situation. The people who I would suggest talking with are school counselors, teacher, clergy members, or other trusted adults. I think discussing the situation with an outside source would be beneficial both to you and your daughter. If there isn't a trusted adult to whom she would listen I would recommend seeking medical advice from a psychologist or mental health counselor. If you have exhausted all sources of outside advice then you may haven't take a strong stance with your daughter. In this case I hate to say it but your only choice is to not let them live with you if they do get married. I know this would be extremely hard and would create new issues with your daughter but at the same time it might be your only choice.

I hope that this information has been helpful and can lead to them waiting to get married. If I can be of any more assistance please don't hesitate to ask.

Please be sure to press the accept button as that is the only way I am compensated for my time and expertise.