proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
49595756

My daughter just turned 12. She has always been a little fresh

My daughter just turned 12. She has always been a little fresh but now she's out of control. If she doesn't get her way she tells us she hates us, we're stupdid idiots and she hopes we die in a car accident. In the past she alwayed loved school and was a straight A student. Now all she wants to do is text boys and hang out with her friends. This weekend I took her phone away for being disrespectful and disovered that she was texting boys at night( our rule is not after 7) and using foul language, and she copied answers to a homework assignment from another student. Last night I found out that she stole her phone out of my purse. I don't know what to do. Should I contact the school counselor or should I go see a family counselor? I want to correct this behavior before it gets worst. Please HELP!!!
Hello and Thank You for consulting Just Answer. I am sorry to hear about the problems that you are having with your daughter. She is probably dealing with peer pressure, raging hormones of puberty, and an overall feeling of not knowing exactly how to behave as she soon enters the teen age years. If your daughter does not respond to the consequences that you have set in place, seeking assistance from the school counselor as well as a child psychologist would help you greatly. Your daughter is obviously frustrated about something. She needs to learn proper coping and intervention strategies to deal with life in an effective and appropriate manner. You can also learn strategies as well to help your daughter through this difficult time.